FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanna join? Post here.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Wanna join? Post here. Reply with quote

Post here if you want to join the ClayTek 3D Game Library project.

I'm very open to new coders, and am willing to deal with newbies since I am one myself.

Though there arn't many D coders out there, and even less that would want to work on a project with a newbie who named it after himself.

Anyway, if you want to join, good, the more the merrier, as long as I know what you're doing and you don't totally screw up my svn tree. If you don't want to join, good, that means I keep the svn tree to myself and can say happily I wrote it all and put it all together! muhahaha.

/whisper have i scared them off yet?
Baldur

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would try it Wink

I thought about to code something like this myself (I had already ported most of the SDL-headers to D two weeks ago), but I think it's too much work and too less time to do it alone *g*
Currently I'm still a little bit newbie in D, but I was not sooo bad in C++ and other laguages.

And perhaps I don't screw up your svn too much Twisted Evil
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldur wrote:
I think I would try it Wink

I thought about to code something like this myself (I had already ported most of the SDL-headers to D two weeks ago), but I think it's too much work and too less time to do it alone *g*
Currently I'm still a little bit newbie in D, but I was not sooo bad in C++ and other laguages.

And perhaps I don't screw up your svn too much Twisted Evil

Ok, awesome. The first thing I'd like to do before you join is ask you a few questions...

1) Do you really want to work on ClayTek 3D Game Library & Editor ?

2) What operating system do you use (Windows or Linux)

3) What windows version or linux distro + version do you use? (XP, slackware,etc.)

If you want to join, the first thing to do is get svn if you don't already have it(http://subversion.tigris.org/). Then you can type the simple command

svn co http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/claytek

to checkout the claytek directory.

Right now I have my own versions of SDL, OpenGL, and OpenGLU D interface headers. I'm not sure if they'll work under windows (havn't tested), but they work under linux.

As you can see from the ClayTek-0.0.1 Progress thread, right now I'm working on
Feature 1) confide to my own design document

This "feature" is more like a code cleanup.
I'm glad to see that you ported some SDL stuff to D, because if you join the first thing I'd like you to work on this.

Feature 1a) Adding sound to claytek
- port SDL_mixer to D. (unless you really want to use openAL and have experience with it)
- write a Music class that makes it easy to load music, play music, rewind music, set volume, and (if you really want to) load a soundtrack and be able to play a series of songs in a certain (or random) order.
- write a SoundFX class that allows you to load a sound effect (like rain, shotgun, birdy, ambient music), and play that sound effect. The volume of the sound effect should be based on how far the player is from the sound effect. The closer the player is, the louder the sound effect. This can be done using the distance formula. sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z). i think.

If you decide to do this, post about it in the ClayTek-0.0.1 Progress thread. If you'd rather do something else, we can talk about it. If you don't want to join, k byebye thanks for the interest. If you have any questions either make a new thread for the or ask them here.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one last thing I'd like to post.

I think instead of me giving you direct access to the svn tree, i'd instead like you to email me your code, i can look over it and say "this is good," or "change this." After I've reviewed it, I can then add it.

This will stop me from having nightmares about strange things happening to the svn tree that i don't know about. Ok thats all. bye.
Baldur

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
1) Do you really want to work on ClayTek 3D Game Library & Editor ?

Yes, I want Wink
I've already programmed a small tool in OpenGL at work and played a little bit with OGL and DirectX at home, but I think I wouldn't finish a complete 3D engine when I'm working on it alone.

clayasaurus wrote:
2) What operating system do you use (Windows or Linux)

3) What windows version or linux distro + version do you use? (XP, slackware,etc.)

Currently I'm using only Win2K. I'm also having a XP-system, but most time I'm developing on the 2K system.

clayasaurus wrote:
Right now I have my own versions of SDL, OpenGL, and OpenGLU D interface headers. I'm not sure if they'll work under windows (havn't tested), but they work under linux.

I'll test it tomorrow Very Happy

When I checked out the repository, I noticed that there are 2 files "SDL_Keysym.d", one capitalized one not. This should be no problem on Linux, but on Windows this made problems at the checkout.

Ok, tomorrow I'm trying to get your code working on windows, then we will see what I can do Wink
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldur wrote:

When I checked out the repository, I noticed that there are 2 files "SDL_Keysym.d", one capitalized one not. This should be no problem on Linux, but on Windows this made problems at the checkout.

Ok, tomorrow I'm trying to get your code working on windows, then we will see what I can do Wink

MAJOR EDIT: hehe. ok. I removed SDL_keysym.d and all is fine and dandy. You should be able to checkout now. revision 22 works now too : )

YAN (yet another edit): Before this turn too much into a developers thread, lets keep developer discussions here (http://dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1006#1006)

I think I'm going to have to create a Logging system for ClayTek so I can easily spot where things are going wrong, because as the project gets bigger and more complex, it's getting harder and harder to debug when it all compiles, runs, but some feature just isn't working. I've spent too much time on printf style debugs.

Ok. Just so you know, I got the original SDL and OpenGL D files from Dedicated (http://int19h.tamb.ru/files.html). I think these were originally meant to work only under windows, but i tweaked them to run in linux, and in doing so I probably ruined the windows compatibility. What I did was just replace the extern Windows with extern C in the code. The two versions of SDL_Keysym were not my doing. Anyway, we probably have to do something like

version (linux) extern C:
version (Windows) extern Windows:

Also, i was thinking about renaming the SDL and OpenGL module names from

import SDL;
import opengl;
import openglu;

into

import std.c.sdl;

import std.c.gl;
import std.c.glu;

since in the D style guide it says all D files that give access to C functions should go in std.c.

Last edited by clayasaurus on Sat May 29, 2004 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
kris

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
I think I'm going to have to create a Logging system for ClayTek so I can easily spot where things are going wrong, because as the project gets bigger and more complex, it's getting harder and harder to debug when it all compiles, runs, but some feature just isn't working. I've spent too much time on printf style debugs.

You might find a use for mango.log, which is a Log4J clone. It'll be available in Beta 7 (out RSN) but you could just download from the repository if you need it right away ...

The provided Appenders (currently writing to Stderr and writing to file) are built upon mango.io, but they can easiliy be replaced with others instead such that mango.log is completely standalone. Edit: just added a ConsoleAppender, dependent upon Phobos only.

It'd be great if (a) mango.log would be useful here and (b) we could collaborate on extending its capabilities. Have you seen the Chainsaw front-end for Log4J? it's pretty sweet, and mango.log will hook into it within the next few days.

- Kris
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the std.c.* should maybe be etc.c.* because I think std.c is only a part of Phobos. etc.c.* modules 'may' become a part of Phobos later.

You may even just want to do your own, such as

clay.c.*

Just some thoughts.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
Also, the std.c.* should maybe be etc.c.* because I think std.c is only a part of Phobos. etc.c.* modules 'may' become a part of Phobos later.

You may even just want to do your own, such as

clay.c.*

Just some thoughts.

yea, i think i might end up doing
import claytek.c.sdl; gl; glu; sdl_mixer; png;

the reason i thought about the std.c.* was because in the D style guide it says ...

Modules that are interfaces to C functions go into the "c" package, for example:

import std.c.stdio;
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this turn too much into a developers thread, lets keep developer discussions on a different thread (http://dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1006#1006).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Claytek 3D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: