FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FreeType and a single texture font

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: FreeType and a single texture font Reply with quote

I use AngelCode's Bitmap Font Generator (www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/) to create a single bitmap containing all the characters of a font for my Derelict OpenGL Application. The problem is that as far as i know most font licenses do not allow them to be distributed like this. Is there a module available somewhere for creating a single texture from a font using freetype so that i can generate this bitmap at runtime instead of using the bitmap font generator?
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FreeType and a single texture font Reply with quote

jaak wrote:
I use AngelCode's Bitmap Font Generator (www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/) to create a single bitmap containing all the characters of a font for my Derelict OpenGL Application. The problem is that as far as i know most font licenses do not allow them to be distributed like this. Is there a module available somewhere for creating a single texture from a font using freetype so that i can generate this bitmap at runtime instead of using the bitmap font generator?

You're wrong about distribution restrictions, unless something has changed recently that I don't know of. BFG and the other bitmap font creators would be useless if that were true. It's the TT font files themselves that can't be distributed. Bitmaps can. That's why these tools were created in the first place.
Crispy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't imagine that the format matters at all, whether or not it's a TrueType file or one converted into a bitmap. IANAL, but it seems to me that a texture intended for use as a font still counts as a font.

I just try to pick font files with very clear licences, so that I know I'm allowed to distribute them. I'm using Bitstream Vera (http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) in my current project for exactly this reason. (Plus it's a pretty good family of fonts.)
jaak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispy wrote:

I just try to pick font files with very clear licences, so that I know I'm allowed to distribute them. I'm using Bitstream Vera (http://www.gnome.org/fonts/) in my current project for exactly this reason. (Plus it's a pretty good family of fonts.)

Thanks for the link. I had trouble finding free fonts with all the international characters included as well, but these seem complete. And the license is very permissive.

Ps. For some reason only Bitstream Vera Sans Mono displays any characters in the bitmap font generator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: