FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

j2d progress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbolsh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: j2d progress Reply with quote

Hi!
I am interested in the j2d roadmap - do you have any plans for translating gnu classpath?
Will you include those gnu classpath libraries in d to the Language Machine distribution?
Will you include java 1.5 generics and generic collections?
What else (besides generics) is not supported now?

Ability to convert significant part of Java project into D will be really helpful ...

tbolsh
mpah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No progress on j2d front, for following reasons:

* apparent lack of interest from anyone until very recently
* mapping java packages to D modules may require changes to D language
* it is getting very hard to justify further effort in any of this

I would be interested to know what you have tried. There are Makefiles for classpath in the j2d directory.

I have not as yet attempted to do anything with J1.5 or generics. I recently noticed some acitivity with another java to D project. I imagine that the module/package problem will strike them at some point.

My suggestion on the D newsgroup was that D should deliberately seek to model Java package mechanisms, so as to make it as easy as possible to gain access to libraries written in Java. As far as I can remember, there was no reaction.

Can you tell me more about your project?

Peri
tbolsh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpah wrote:
No progress on j2d front, for following reasons:

* apparent lack of interest from anyone until very recently
* mapping java packages to D modules may require changes to D language
* it is getting very hard to justify further effort in any of this

I would be interested to know what you have tried. There are Makefiles for classpath in the j2d directory.

I did not tried much so far. Mostly examples and "hello, world" analogs.
mpah wrote:

I have not as yet attempted to do anything with J1.5 or generics. I recently noticed some acitivity with another java to D project. I imagine that the module/package problem will strike them at some point.

That, probaly, was my messages too. I found the D Programming Language web-sites about a week ago - after looking at "the language shutout". And I am trying to understand now how we can use it (if we can).
mpah wrote:

My suggestion on the D newsgroup was that D should deliberately seek to model Java package mechanisms, so as to make it as easy as possible to gain access to libraries written in Java. As far as I can remember, there was no reaction.

With the help of "The Language Machine" it is probably possible to work with D without it. I am not quite sure, but it is first what strike me when I look at your project - with some imagination anf skills it is possible to convert the code working with one library to the code working with another library. And convert one language (with library calls) to another one
(with its own library calls).
I have big experience in Java (7+ years), before I was writing a lot on C, C++ & Perl, before that on Modula 2, Pascal. But I did not accurately read even the D Programming Language Tutorials - so far this is a part time activity for me during summer vacation period, when my customers are not so active as in other time. And I am not sure that I can persist on D Programming Language for a long time - I will try.
mpah wrote:

Can you tell me more about your project?
Peri

Recently (3 month ago) we switch all of our source code (with the help of Eclipse refactoring) to 1.5 - all the collections become generics etc. I would try to take a previous version (based on 1.4) of code and convert some networking basic stuff.
The code is actually some kind of Java middleware for control Fermilab accelerators - application and services. It is not real-time (Java), but some parts of it can be characterized as soft real-time. It was developed for significant time (about 10 years) by Accelerator Division / Accelerator Controls group http://www-bd.fnal.gov/controls. I would try to convert some basic code for ACNET protocol support.
But again, so far my work will be really shallow and soon I will switch to some other projects. What I am doing with D and The Language Machine so far is not authorized and was not even discussed with other people from our group - I am trying to find out about D from pure interest.
I will keep you informed about my experience.
Tim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Language Machine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: