FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows-hostile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue D. Nymme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Windows-hostile Reply with quote

I vastly prefer unix/linux, but there are times and places (e.g. work) where I must use Windows. I generally use cygwin to make my life bearable.

D turns out to be a real pain the the @** to get working in a Windows/Cygwin environment.

First, one good thing: gdc is available as a stock package from cygwin setup. Bad: it's from June 2005. I started running into problems when I tried to generate documentation from embedded comments.

(Here's another gripe: NONE of the pages that I found -- on dsource.org, the wiki, or digitalmars -- describing embedded documentation said anything about how to generate the output from the source. None!)

What was the problem with gdc and documentation? It took me over an hour to find this: "Built into the language is support for embedded documentation comments (called Ddoc), however at this stage, only the compiler supplied by DigitalMars implements a documentation generator." Great. Confused

So I went looking for dmd. DMD comes pre-compiled for Win32, but I want to use it under cygwin. So (since there is apparently no precompiled binary for cygwin), I have to build it myself. This was a disaster. First, the source is included with a bare-bones readme.txt which says nothing about how to compile it. There is no makefile, no autoconf, no readme.cygwin. Passing any of the .c files through gcc resulted in scores of errors.

So I gave up on that. Figured I'd install the Win32 binaries... I guess I can use those to generate the documentation, while using gdc for actual development. Clumsy, but maybe it'll work. I wanted to put things into \Program Files\d, but I found this in the readme: "Do not install into a subdirectory with spaces, tabs, + signs, commas, or # characters in the subdirectory or path names." From the looks of things, the linker will only be happy if it's installed in \dm, and the compiler will only be happy if it's installed in \dmd.

Is there a better way? Or is this the sort of stuff I have to live with to do D in the Windows world? Mad
Sue D. Nymme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows-hostile Reply with quote

I apologize; I thought this forum was for discussing D build tools in general; I didn't realize it was for a specific build tool.

My rant is more appropriate in the general D discussion, and I will post it there. Again, my apologies.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows-hostile Reply with quote

Sue D. Nymme wrote:
I apologize; I thought this forum was for discussing D build tools in general; I didn't realize it was for a specific build tool.

My rant is more appropriate in the general D discussion, and I will post it there. Again, my apologies.

No problems, mate.

But ... DMD is not totally open source. Some of it is, but the part that generates object code is not.

Also, DMD using Windows is very well supported except for the ancient MS-DOS oriented linker. This linker was written in assembler and the author is extremely reluctant to modify it (it is very brittle) or rewrite it.
hasan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem with just using the command line dmd on windows? isn't that how you do things on linux??! what is so troublesome about it? I don't get it.

Quote:
So I gave up on that. Figured I'd install the Win32 binaries... I guess I can use those to generate the documentation, while using gdc for actual development. Clumsy, but maybe it'll work. I wanted to put things into \Program Files\d, but I found this in the readme: "Do not install into a subdirectory with spaces, tabs, + signs, commas, or # characters in the subdirectory or path names." From the looks of things, the linker will only be happy if it's installed in \dm, and the compiler will only be happy if it's installed in \dmd.

Is there a better way? Or is this the sort of stuff I have to live with to do D in the Windows world?

What's the problem with that? isn't that exactly how things work out in the Linux world?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: