FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yage Project Request
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Yage Project Request Reply with quote

Brad,

I've been working on a 3D game engine in D for about a year now and I'm ready to go public with what I've made and release the source. YAGE stands for Yet Another Game Engine, and if you're curious, you can check out a demo of it here. Current features include 3D model loading and placement, lights, wav and ogg vorbis 3D positional audio, and a basic xml materials system. I've used OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, and libvorbis so far (all through derelict) and it currently compiles on Windows and Linux. I've got much more to do and I'd say I'm maybe 15? of the way to a version 1.0.

I'm currently torn between hosting the project on dsource and taking care of hosting myself. Maybe you know of a way to do a hybrid solution? Here are the pro's and cons.

Hosting on dsource:
  • Access to an SVN server (I have a good webhost, but it's a shared server w/ no root access.)
  • Visibile to anyone browsing dsource looking for D projects.
  • A killer community of D developers that wouldn't need new logins to access my forum(s)

My Own Hosting:
  • I've already bought a domain name Yage3d.net as a way to make the project more official. And I already have a site in-progress.
  • Possibility of having multiple forums.
  • Not sure what dsource offers on the hosting side, but I'd like to use media-wiki as well as have access to php and mysql (which my current host offers).

So what do you recommend? I definitely want to keep the domain name and have an environment that allows me to run my own php code with database access (and media wiki), but I'd hate to be isolated from the rest of the dsource community and setting up my own svn server would be difficult. Suggestions?

Last edited by JoeCoder on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Yage Game Engine Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:
Brad,

I've been working on a 3D game engine in D for about a year now and I'm ready to go public with what I've made and release the source. YAGE stands for Yet Another Game Engine, and if you're curious, you can check out a demo of it here. Current features include 3D model loading and placement, lights, wav and ogg vorbis 3D positional audio, and a basic xml materials system. I've used OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, and libvorbis so far (all through derelict) and it currently compiles on Windows and Linux. I've got much more to do and I'd say I'm maybe 15? of the way to a version 1.0.

I'm currently torn between hosting the project on dsource and taking care of hosting myself. Maybe you know of a way to do a hybrid solution? Here are the pro's and cons.

Hosting on dsource:
  • Access to an SVN server (I have a good webhost, but it's a shared server w/ no root access.)
  • Visibile to anyone browsing dsource looking for D projects.
  • A killer community of D developers that wouldn't need new logins to access my forum(s)

My Own Hosting:
  • I've already bought a domain name Yage3d.net as a way to make the project more official. And I already have a site in-progress.
  • Possibility of having multiple forums.
  • Not sure what dsource offers on the hosting side, but I'd like to use media-wiki as well as have access to php and mysql (which my current host offers).

So what do you recommend? I definitely want to keep the domain name and have an environment that allows me to run my own php code with database access (and media wiki), but I'd hate to be isolated from the rest of the dsource community and setting up my own svn server would be difficult. Suggestions?

I'd like to host your project, and I think we can work something out.

However, it will not be without obstacles. If you want, you can use dsource for SVN, Trac, and Forum(s). For the rest, we can redirect to your server, i.e. yage.dsource.org would go to your server. I cannot give anyone shell access to the server. That being said, the site is moving to another server in the near-term. I wouldn't think that shell access would be permitted there either, though Sad

I have planned but have failed to find the time to implement a plugin for Trac that allows many forums per project, as well as transfer all the old phpBB content into them. It could happen, but I'm not finding free time so much these days.

There are others (notably hotzenplotz working with Andrew F. on Harmonia) interested in just getting project visibility on dsource, but everything else is hosted on their server. I haven't figured this out yet, but am not opposed to it.

So, I guess you can do as much or as little as you want with dsource. Just let me know and I'll see what can be done about visibility on the projects page, and redirects to your site (and Harmonia, finally for hotzenplotz). I'm thinking of a page similar to the one that explains why a project has no Trac environment. See: http://www.dsource.org/projects/digdug for an example. Either that, or a straight redirect right away.

Let me know your thoughts on these matters.

BA
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not granting root access is certainly understandable and I didn't expect that. My point was that I'd need root access to install svn on my current host. Anyway, if you ever plan on it, you might look into usermode linux or xen. I've seen usermode offered by other hosts granting root access to multiple accounts on a single server.

Your solution with svn/trac/forums sounds like the best solution. I suppose I can keep the wiki hosted on my site accountless so people don't have to have two logins. I admit that I'm still an SVN newbie but I can probably figure it out without much difficulty.

It will probably be a while before I need more than one forum anyway. And thanks in advance.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:
Not granting root access is certainly understandable and I didn't expect that. My point was that I'd need root access to install svn on my current host. Anyway, if you ever plan on it, you might look into usermode linux or xen. I've seen usermode offered by other hosts granting root access to multiple accounts on a single server.

Your solution with svn/trac/forums sounds like the best solution. I suppose I can keep the wiki hosted on my site accountless so people don't have to have two logins. I admit that I'm still an SVN newbie but I can probably figure it out without much difficulty.

It will probably be a while before I need more than one forum anyway. And thanks in advance.

Depending on what you want to do with the wiki, I find the one in Trac quite usable (I think http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl ) is a good example on what's possible. That it is integrated with a svn browser, reports, tickets, etc I find a huge bonus.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:

To be clear, I was saying that I can't grant shell access of any kind, let alone root access. So there's no hosting at all, just use of the site. That being said, I've toyed with MediaWiki and it's a disaster to integrate with dsource b/c of no Postgres backend. Sad

Larsivi does have a point on the Trac wiki. It takes some getting used to, but MoinMoin is a strong wiki, and dsource's Trac wiki will only grow to have more D-isms.

BA
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trac is certainly nice, but media-wiki is very customizeable with a little PHP tinkering. Using it should be a snap to pull pages from it for pages on my site (like an about-section and roadmap) and also display the latest changes in a box on the main page. Or maybe it's just my own wanting to stick with what's familiar.

BTW, would there be any easy way to get the latest active forum topics for the website also? If not, I could probably write a scraper w/o too much trouble.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just letting you know that this project is still alive. I've been very busy with homework this semester, but it's my last and I'll have more time for development come mid-December.
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of this; it seems really clean and well thought out. Smile

I think I'll have a bash at using it for one of the projects floating around in my mind... and with any luck, there'll come a time when I'll actually be able to make some contributions, even! Razz
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks. If so then you may very well be the first user. There are still a few major features missing such as the gui, but what's there is quite use-abe.

Brad, I'm ready to commit some code if you could get me an account setup. No rush though, there's always something to keep me busy.
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set up DMD and Yage over here, but I'm getting segfaults in ModelNode.setModel. I'll go into detail once if I find what's going on... and a Yage forum is established here. Smile

As a quick aside, attempting to use buildme.d to build the Yage example yields:

Code:
jeff@meatpopsicle:/opt/d/yage/proj$ dmd -run buildme.d
Building Yage...
If you're curious, the options are:
   -clean     Delete all intermediate object files.
   -ddoc      Generate documentation in doc/html.
   -debug     Generate non-optimized debug with unit tests and asserts.
   -profile   Compile in profiling code.
   -verbose   Print all commands as they're being executed.
link: missing operand after `,yage,yage.map,pt/d/yage/lib/derelictAL.lib+
pt/d/yage/lib/derelictGL.lib+pt/d/yage/lib/DerelictGLU.lib+pt/d/yage/lib/
DerelictOgg.lib+pt/d/yage/lib/DerelictSDL.lib+pt/d/yage/lib/DerelictSDLImage.lib
+pt/d/yage/lib/DerelictUtil.lib+pt/d/yage/lib/DerelictVorbis.lib'
                                      (** ^- extra newlines added to be kind to PHPBB's page layout!)
Try `link --help' for more information.
Link failed.  Please fix the errors and try again.

I'm assuming there's something a bit funky going on with my setup.

I'll continue to poke around, but I'd be more than happy to provide any information (library versions, etc.) if you think it could be of use.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tested the build script on linux yet, but I had someone else mention they had trouble also. The first step is to recompile derelict on linux to get .a instead of .lib files and modify the script to look for those. I'll post back here when I get it fixed, but it might be up to a week or more.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is now set up on dsource. JoeCoder, let me know where you want more integration with your site...

BA
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:
The first step is to recompile derelict on linux to get .a instead of .lib files and modify the script to look for those.

Is this even necessary; it looks like you're shipping the appropriate Derelict sources with Yage anyway, so wouldn't it be just as convenient to compile these along with Yage-based projects? Am I missing something?

(PS Smile Huzzah for the new forum/trac setup!)
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work too. Using bud might be the easiest way to do it without my build script. It's been a few months since the last time I've built it under linux, but another user confirmed that they were able to by modifying my build script.

I wish I could help sooner, but finals weeks is rapidly approaching and I'm continually turning in assignments late as it is.

Last edited by JoeCoder on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PsychoBrat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries at all! If I weren't a man of patience, do you think I'd be D enthusiast in the first place? Wink

Best of luck with your exams! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Yage All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: