FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deimos == Phobos for the people ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qbert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Deimos == Phobos for the people ? Reply with quote

First Poster!

Is this project going to be an alternative to the phobos shipped with DMD ? If so Id like to help !

Thanks,
Charles
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Deimos == Phobos for the people ? Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Is this project going to be an alternative to the phobos shipped with DMD ?
Maybe Deimos can serve that purpose. From reading Arcane Jill's posts in the general newsgroup, I got the impression it is a place for possible inclusions to Phobos. Sort of a testing area for what's "on deck". For those of us that like to be on the cutting edge, we could try it out while we're waiting for Walter to officially include it in Phobos.

I expect the first component of Deimos will be Arcane Jill's Big Integer work.
danielrh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep: and my BigRational work Smile

BigRational is a template struct (can be templatized on BigInteger or long or int or whatever you like...real won't work very well though)
Carlos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: small contrib Reply with quote

I'd like to contribute with my date formatter, mentioned in http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?Phobos#ProjectDateformatterdate2str.
Arcane Jill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool - there's life here!

Yep, well, I'm going to make the attempt to get Int up here today. For those who asked, Deimos is indeed a supplement to Phobos, with the difference that it's written by us users instead of by the D designers.

We've sort of commandeered (with permission) the top level "etc" namespace. So you'll see etc.bigint first, with big rationals and whatever else people care to post here following. Jcc7's description is pretty on the mark. Anything that goes into Deimos pretty much has to be in the "etc" heirarchy, but beyond that (and a little common sense) it's open to all. My fingers are crossed in the hope that some of the stuff here will be considered for Phobos. If that happens, it will move from "etc" to "std". If not, well, Deimos will just have to become the greatest library ever.

Right then. I'm off to see if I can figure out how to upload using Subversion. If I get stuck, I'll come and ask for help.

Arcane Jill
Arcane Jill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it worked. Cool Cool

Well, if someone would care to verify that all is ok, I'd say we're ready to go.

One thing - we really should get a proper documentation directory together. The docs directory at present only documents my stuff, and it would be nice if we could cobble together an index page linking to everyone's stuff, with a common look-and-feel. (I stole the look-and-feel from the D website. It'd probably be a good idea to keep that format). Maybe we could post separate documentation for each of our projects for now, and then someone could kinda merge it all together. I could probably do that.

And we're going to need scripts and makefiles and things, so that there's a simple process to make The Deimos Library (instead of one library for Ints, one library for rationals, and so forth). It'd be nice if we could give people just one thing to download.

Finally, my class is called Int, not BigInteger. The phrase "big integer" is a suitable description, but it should not be capitalized or munged together, as that would be misleading. The module is called "etc.bigint" because "int" (with a lowercase i) is a reserved word.

Arcane Jill
qbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos I have need for that date formatter, u wanted to throw it up on SVN ?
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Carlos I have need for that date formatter, u wanted to throw it up on SVN ?

I don't think I can do that (unless you want me to put it on unDig, which I don't think would be good), but you can download it from the stated address. I know the site is down many times, but is the only one I can offer now. Someone else can host it too, if they want. So, just go and get it. I'm glad someone found it useful.
pmfp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Carlos"]
qbert wrote:
Someone else can host it too, if they want.

It's now available on:
http://dev.pmfp.net/deimos/dateformatter/date2str.d
Carlos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pmfp"]
Carlos wrote:
qbert wrote:
Someone else can host it too, if they want.

It's now available on:
http://dev.pmfp.net/deimos/dateformatter/date2str.d

Thanks
Arcane Jill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've separated the docs out into one-per-module. This will make it easier for others to integrate their own documentation. I've also tried to make it look as much as possible like the D website.

Anyone who wants stuff in Deimos, feel free to start adding things.

Jill
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Deimos All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: