FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Default vOutFileSwitch on GDC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Default vOutFileSwitch on GDC Reply with quote

I forgot to post about this since the nix_gdc_build.cfg file works fine - the default vOutFileSwitch for GDC in build.d is "-of ", but it should be "-o " ... this may be my fault, the change I made and submitted to get GDC working in the first place my have overlooked that.

Anyway, the .cfg file works, so it's fairly trivial *shrugs*
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Default vOutFileSwitch on GDC Reply with quote

Gregor wrote:
I forgot to post about this since the nix_gdc_build.cfg file works fine - the default vOutFileSwitch for GDC in build.d is "-of ", but it should be "-o " ... this may be my fault, the change I made and submitted to get GDC working in the first place my have overlooked that.

Anyway, the .cfg file works, so it's fairly trivial *shrugs*

Yes it does Smile

The problem is though that the defaults have been set up or identified with platform environments, however in reality they are actually toolset defaults. The idea is that one can select the tools that they wish to use (compilers, linkers, librarians) and tweak the config file to cater for your choices.

For example, it is not inconceivable that another D compiler will be written for the Windows environment, or that someone finally gets a better linker than optlink running. These will probably use different switches, so I can't put them as 'defaults' into the Build tool. That is why the config file concept exists.
Gregor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that in the general case, somebody will have a plain install of something, and those plain installs can be detected at compile time with simple version() statements, it seems to me like the defaults in place ought to work in those default environments ... most people do not want to have to tweak a build tool to their custom environment, especially when their custom environment isn't custom at all.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregor wrote:
Considering that in the general case, somebody will have a plain install of something, and those plain installs can be detected at compile time with simple version() statements, it seems to me like the defaults in place ought to work in those default environments ... most people do not want to have to tweak a build tool to their custom environment, especially when their custom environment isn't custom at all.

Please tell me what are the default tools for the environments described by the current version settings built into D today.

This is what I think they are ...

Code:

OPSYS       VENDOR      TOOLSET
=======     ========    ======================
Windows     DM          dmd.exe, link.exe, lib.exe
Windows     GNU         gdc.exe, gdc.exe, ar.exe
Linux       DM          dmd, gcc, ar
Linux       GNU         gdc, gdc, ar

Gregor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those all look like proper defaults ...

But the default for gdc's output flag is "-o ", not "-of". That's all I'm saying Razz
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregor wrote:
Those all look like proper defaults ...

But the default for gdc's output flag is "-o ", not "-of". That's all I'm saying Razz

Thanks. I've fixed the out-of-the-box default for the next release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: