FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Physics in FreeUniverse

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phr00t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Physics in FreeUniverse Reply with quote

OK, I know Clay is working on a 2D physics system, and I also know we discussed removing "space friction"...

1) Are we going to use the 2D physics system anywhere in FreeUniverse? If so, where?

I don't want most objects (if any) to be allowed to be "pushed" around -- I can imagine stations and planets getting "out of place" when they should be next to transpaths. At most, the physics system could be used to "knock" ships around when they get hit by projectiles... but is it really worth the whole physics system for this? You could make jolts without a full physics 2D system... I think Clay's 2D physics system is awesome, but not sure how it will fit into FreeUniverse?

2) Removal of space friction

I am not convinced I want to remove space friction... it would be a rather large change. The AI has been programmed knowing space friction exists, so Ship AI would have to be changed. Also, much of the "thrust" code has been programmed to work only with space friction. I can see games like SubSpace shouldn't have space friction, because so much emphasis is placed on agility in dogfighting (and you can bounce off walls which is neat) -- but FreeUniverse is more based on FreeLancer where space friction exists. Also, it would mess up the "balance" of engine energy consumption and types.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of having a "control computer" item either... it is an item just to counteract the annoyance of no space friction. So, people would have to use a utility slot for this at all times. All Ship AI would need this part if we didn't feel like re-writing ship AI...

I would rather say that all ships by default have this "control computer" installed, and thats why your ship slows down when no engine is applied (kinda like all ships in StarTrek have gravity generators, so the crew doesn't "float around")

If you really believe space friction should be removed, prepare a demo of FreeUniverse without space friction when most things still work and I will look at it, but I don't want it to be committed to the SVN.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am also wondering where the physics engine might fit into freeuniverse. Using the physics system, it would be really easy to implement the 'no friction in space' rule.

It would allow for some pretty neat effects like a 'space train,' however it also may be unnecessary.

[edit]:
One thing a physics engine would provide is a sense of 'realism,' where all objects use the same system to calculate speed based on mass and based on the strength of the ships thruster engines.

edit: but that can probably be easily mimicked.

Last edited by clayasaurus on Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChristianK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since you don't want ship-ship collisions - and good collision handling is basically the biggest selling point of our physics engine so far - I fear it really might not be very useful in FreeUniverse and we should continue to allow arc sprites to be used without physics.

I can see why you don't think no-friction movement fits into FreeUniverse and am okay with that.
Phr00t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing a physics engine would provide is a sense of 'realism,' where all objects use the same system to calculate speed based on mass and based on the strength of the ships thruster engines.

edit: but that can probably be easily mimicked.

This already exists using good ol' A = F / M Smile However, about all the ships have the same weight and thrust, so you don't really notice it. Some definite balancing needs to be done with the ships and their weights -- but I'm not exactly sure how to handle it, because if Carriers become too slow, they will be too easy to kill...
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phr00t wrote:
but I'm not exactly sure how to handle it, because if Carriers become too slow, they will be too easy to kill...

Bigger ships should have bigger and more powerful engines Razz
Phr00t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I remember -- I currently give carriers and dreaghnoughts (sp?) two engines and turners. But, it looks like one engine is enough to move (at least an empty) carrier around... I'm sure this will need some tweaking -- I've been on a bug fix craze lately Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> FreeUniverse All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: