FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The contest has started...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: The contest has started... Reply with quote

The task is now on the contest website. I haven't had a chance to read the whole document yet, but the idea is that each team designs ant brain (up to four per team). I guess one could call it an Artificial Intelligence experiment. We're allowed to design the brain by hand, but I'm guessing teams get better results if they design and use code generators. Laughing

Also, I think part of the challenge to implement a program that will test how the ants behave (a neural net interpreter, I suppose).

I'll be off work in 4 1/2 hours, but I'll be thinking of approachs and reading the task description on my breaks. It sounds like a fun challenge. (By the way, I'd still welcome any help. Walter and Matthew included. Smile )
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a Wiki page where I'm trying to break up the problem into easier-to-chew bites: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ICFP2004/ContestTasks
qbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack i thought it started tommorow, where is the official specs ?
qbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops I see it
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this go? It doesn't look like too many D programmers were available to lend a hand on this one.

Did anyone from here make any headway on this competition?
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
How did this go? It doesn't look like too many D programmers were available to lend a hand on this one.

Did anyone from here make any headway on this competition?
I talked a little bit about the task with qbert on Friday evening, but I was the only one committing code to SVN. Apparently, he thought it was going to start on Saturday or something, so he was caught off guard.

I worked on it a lot Friday night, but I got discouraged. Some small things slowed me down, but nothing that I can blame on the DMD compiler. I was making progress even at the end (I wrote code that would read in .ant and .world files), but it's a large task for one person. I never even got started on the actual simulation part of the project.

I think I could've finished the simulator within the timeframe, but I still don't know how I would've created a good ant brain. Trial-and-error doesn't seem like it would've been very effective. Also, I wonder how long the simulations would've run on my 1GHz/128MB computer. I guess 100 or so iterations might be sufficient to find out how smart the ant brain is.

I'm sure I would've worked on it Saturday through Monday if someone else was writing code, too. I guess if I tried to do this again, I'd make sure there was a private chatroom somewhere ahead of time.

I could've hacked together an ant brain by hand without implementing the simulator, but it would probably just beat its head against the wall and come in last place. Sad I didn't want people to make fun of D because I got lazy.
Hohums

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopfully I'll be able to contribute next year.
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hohums wrote:
Hopfully I'll be able to contribute next year.
Cool, I'm interested in trying again as part of a team effort. I'll nominate you as team captain. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ICFP 2004 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: