FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My D Tutorial
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: My D Tutorial Reply with quote

I've started a tutorial project. I don't have any grand design for it. I'm trying to make it accessible to the uninitiated. I intend to make it so that a programming novice can use it to learn D.

Walter wrote in the D spec (under the heading "Who D is Not For") that "D makes an excellent second language". Well, I believe that if there is a thorough tutorial for learning it, D would be as appropriate as Java as a beginning language. That is the tutorial that I'm trying to create.

If I organize it well enough, programmers who are already experienced in other languages could also benefit from this tutorial by "skipping to" the parts that are different from their language. I'm thinking of something along the lines of Notes For Programmers Used To....

But those are mostly idea at this point. My tutorial web site has a growing number of examples, but I need to fill in most of the commentary portions. At this point the content is sketchy.
I welcome suggestions for improvement and constructive criticism.
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very impressive start, Justin. I'll look it over a little more thoroughly when I get some time.

I especially like the layout and organization

Later,

John
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a "foreach" example in the works yet?
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: foreach examples Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Do you have a "foreach" example in the works yet?

If you're offerring an example, I'll take donations. If you need an example, I have three. I didn't actually write them myself. I either found them in the spec or the newsgroup. I've posted them in case you want to see them.

Nothing fancy, but they compile, link, and run.
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the intent of my question was a little ambiguous. I was just asking if you had plans to add a "foreach" tutorial to your current list.

If I write a tutorial, I'll have to choose the topic carefully because I tend to get carried away. Short and sweet with writing projects isn't my specialty, unfortunately Razz.
jcc7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess then my answer is yes. Smile

I already had the foreach code pretty much ready to go. It only took about 2 seconds to upload it, so it wasn't a lot of effort. I've got several other examples almost ready to go, I just tend to wait and post a set of them all at once.

I have a little roadmap that I'm somewhat working off of, but mostly the plan is just in my head. I'd like to have at least one full working example for each keyword (eventually). I've been trying to handle what I see as most fundamental topics first.

For now, my tutorial is mostly geared towards procedural programming (partly because that's what I'm most comfortable with). I'll add more object-oriented stuff as I write some more classes of my own. As the topics get more complex, my treatment of them will likely get sketchy. But I'd try to refer to other sources of information as much as possible.
Q

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: D tutorial Reply with quote

Tutorials looking great JCC ( and team! ) , good work Smile.
Phill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Threads Reply with quote

This is a very nice site, great stuff guys!

Can I request a simple Thread example, please?

I have attempted to create another Thread for drawing(updating the
GUI) while reading data with the other.
While I thought that I was doing everything correctly, it does not work(GUI freezes until all data is retrieved).

Phill.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Threads Reply with quote

Phill wrote:
Can I request a simple Thread example, please?

I came up with this thread example: http://dsource.org/tutorials/index.php?show_example=56

If you're looking for something else, it might be helpful if you posted a small non-working example. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of documentation out there, but I did find a few NG posts.

It might change everything that you're working with GUI, but I've found that console concepts usually translate well to GUI situations (console examples just have less baggage).
phill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

This will be good for me to use as a guide.

Thanks a million, I appreciate it!

Phill.
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Another thread example Reply with quote

Here's another thread example (it uses synchronized, too):
http://robertmuench.de/notes/d/ (from D:27125)
norgus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice start on a tutorial, but being the programming beginner I am (i.e. I know next to nothing) I think it needs more explanation.

I'll start attempting to compile some tutorial code once I decide how I'll go about it. (Hopefully have linux running in someway, would perfer learning under linux Smile )
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Programming Beginner Reply with quote

norgus wrote:
Very nice start on a tutorial, but being the programming beginner I am (i.e. I know next to nothing) I think it needs more explanation.
It's been a while since I've been a beginning programmer (I learned BASIC in the 80's), so I'd like to hear your perspective.

I'm sure "more explanation" is accurate, but it's a little vague. Do you need more information about the HOW or the WHY of this stuff? Or are you having problems with even earlier stuff like setting up the compiler and sending a file to it?

I also should mention that I'm probably going to phase out my original tutorial as I add more functionality to the example database at dsource. But I'm not going to delete any content at my first tutorial site until the content here is at least as good. (There is actually a greater number of examples here at dsource, but some of the original examples have more commentary.)
norgus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, It would be nice to be told what the various commands do and in what situations you use them andhow etc..

Im a bit vague because of my litle experience.

An example of a tutorial that I found quite helpfull before are the linux bash tutorials in developerworks on www.IBM.com

I should hopefully be able to set up the compiler, but it would be nice to see some basic instructions on doing that.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

This may be where the
Code:
block of code

and explanation right below (or above)

would come in handy, as we discussed. Hopefully your rework of tutorials would handle that. I'll send you an article I wrote that tried to do this exact thing. Use a command and then tell a bit about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: