FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 Suggestions: Opening files, Adding other extentions, ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Kiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: 4 Suggestions: Opening files, Adding other extentions, ... Reply with quote

Hello

I have these 4 suggestions:

1- Enable opening files, not just projects.
2- In the project properties->General->File List, why aren't there other extentions such as "*.di", "*.res", and so on?
3- In case of collapsing, displaying the closing brace:
Code:
void myFunc()
{ ... }

4- Activating the Ctrl-Z shortcut (undo)

I hope it's not complicated Wink
John
Kuan Hsu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
1- Enable opening files, not just projects.

I think just open file and edit it isn't difficult, but there are much code need to modify, but when we need compile it and run it, there are more code... Shocked OK, I will check it out.

Quote:
2- In the project properties->General->File List, why aren't there other extentions such as "*.di", "*.res", and so on?

OK. Very Happy

Quote:
3- In case of collapsing, displaying the closing brace

It's about scintilla, hehe, it's difficult to change( for me )..... Crying or Very sad

Quote:
4- Activating the Ctrl-Z shortcut (undo)

You can into Tools->Options...->Short Cut, double click the item you want to edit( ex. undo ), then set the new key.
John Kiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuan

For the 2nd suggestion, I should have first asked: What is the use of this file list? Smile

Can I add a 5th one? When I create a project, I specify the main file. However, the file is not created. I have to specify it again (right click in package explorer-->New-->File). Can the main file be created automatically when I create a new project?
BTW, why is the "Add File" (right click in package explorer) always deactivated (at least with me Wink)?

Thanks
John Kiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuan

For the 2nd suggestion, I should have first asked: What is the use of this file list? Smile

Can I add a 5th one? When I create a project, I specify the main file. However, the file is not created. I have to specify it again (right click in package explorer-->New-->File). Can the main file be created automatically when I create a new project?
BTW, why is the "Add File" (right click in package explorer) always deactivated (at least with me Wink )?

Thanks
Kuan Hsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The original design of Poseidon is pure project base for Bud, all source files in a folder( project path ) that we can manage easily. We can set our main file pass to Bud, all files should be under project's path.

There are some issues about the design( personal ):
(1). All source files will load when open project in Poseidon, even never used.
(2). Source file at another path will not load, we must copy that one into project's path.
(3). If we build with DMD, (1) will make trouble. We should tell DMD what files need be compiled.

For DMD build project, we need "file list".( In Poseidon, when select DMD, Source Browser show files in "file list"; for Bud, Package Explorer will show all files under project's path ).

Quote:
BTW, why is the "Add File" (right click in package explorer) always deactivated (at least with me Wink )?

It's only when build with DMD.

I know it's too complicated, if I disable Package Explorer( Bud ), Let user to decide what files will show when loding project, is it better way?
Wink

I'll modify main file bug, tnanks! Very Happy
John Kiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuan for the explanation

I'm new to D, Bud, and Poseidon, but let me think..

Here is what I see DMD & Bud do:

DMD:

It compiles & link according to files passed to the cmd line. File list includes D source files, D interface files, OBJ, LIB, RES, DEF. This list is independent of the files in the Poseidon project.
In case you import a D file (ex. mylib.d) into another one (ex. mainapp.d):

<mainapp.d>
Code:

import mylib.d;

Then compiling mainapp.d is enough, and a single OBJ file will be generated, containing both the mylib code & the mainapp code. (correct me if I'm wrong). So no need to compile mylib.d separately. Again, this behavior is independent of the Poseidon project file list.

Bud:

We either control bud (linking certain OBJ & LIBs, including certain source files,...) using pragmas inside the source files (I guess only the main source file), or we can pass obj, lib,... on the cmd line. Or we can normally import source files just as we do with DMD. (somebody correct me if I'm not accurate).

Again, all these options do not depend on the Poseidon project file list.

So let me propose this:

- Use the library list (Project options --> Include & Libs --> Library) to specify which files (obj, lib, res) to pass to the DMD/Bud command, in order to link them. Any other compilation decision will be specified using normal import statement and/or Bud pragmas.

- Use same approch of project file list, for both DMD & Bud, & use this list only to help organize the project files. I.e. not to use it in any compilation decision. For example, I may have an RC (resource script) file, or even a txt file that belong to the project, then I would like to have it in this list. This doesn't mean I want to pass them to DMD or Bud.

In this case, I propose that the file list in the project props would match the file list in the pkg explorer, and that we can add files using either of them.
Future plans would be to categorize files according to type (txt, d source, di, ...). A further further future suggestion would be ability to specify operations (such as compiling an RC file) in the build process somehow. (currently, I'm using the GREAT "external tool configuration" for such tasks)

Well.. that's just an opinion, based on a very limited experience, and i may have missed some points Wink

Regards
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Poseidon All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: