FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now that we have Tango?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
odeamus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Now that we have Tango? Reply with quote

I was just wondering whether you are going to support Phobos or Tango? Or maybe both?

O.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. I've had access to Tango for a while, so I've already worked out what I need to do. I was really wanting to get it done a few weeks ago, but I decided to wait until the official release.
odeamus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good to hear.

Then we can start seeing the support for Tango? =) I want to convert my nehe lessons to it. :)
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon enough. I want to make sure I've got all of the kinks worked out of the new build script before I go adding version(Tango) statements to it. The changes required to the packages are fairly extensive, mostly to DerelictGL and DerelictUtil. The good thing though is that the bulk of it can be easily automated with a Tango-based script. So I should be able to get it all done in one sitting once I start on it.
odeamus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try to be patient. :)
volcore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE: This post is of motivational nature.

I don't want to stress you, but ... since we are in the early stages of a new project requiring a decent GL, SDL library like derelict, but forseeing that Tango will eventually be phobos' successor and has a lot of functionality we require, it may be wise to start working with Tango right away. So it would be quite nice to have at least an approximative eta (as in days, weeks, month or years).

Btw, good work so far Wink
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volcore wrote:
NOTE: This post is of motivational nature.

I don't want to stress you, but ... since we are in the early stages of a new project requiring a decent GL, SDL library like derelict, but forseeing that Tango will eventually be phobos' successor and has a lot of functionality we require, it may be wise to start working with Tango right away. So it would be quite nice to have at least an approximative eta (as in days, weeks, month or years).

I hate giving etas because I don't keep to a schedule with Derelict and any dates I give usually turn out to be too optimistic. But, since it seems quite a few people are waiting for Tango support, I'll go out on a limb and say that I'll get it done sometime within the next week.

Quote:
Btw, good work so far Wink

Thanks.
volcore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I always have a hard time estimating etas as well, but in the end, the scale is usually correct. And for us it doesn't really matter if its this week or next week. But in case you had said "month", we'd have used phobos+mango+derelict instead.

Thank you again, if you need any help, let me know Wink

Btw, are you interested in bindings for other libraries? We're going to use ODE and Lua most likely, so we gonna have to set up some bindings for these as well.
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else is working on DerelictODE bindings right now. I will be adding that package to the trunk as soon as I get it. As for Lua, there was some consideration of a DerelictLua for a while, but ultimately I decided not to include it. Maybe I'll consider it again in the future, particularly if someone throws a complete package my way. But once concern I have is that adding a binding for one script language suddenly opens the door to a dozen more.

IIRC, Clay Smith added a Lua binding to the Bindings project here at dsource. You might want to take a look at that.
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little progress report. I'm fairly confident that I've modified all of the Derelict modules that need to be modified to work with Tango. But I've now encountered one major stumbling block -- it seems that DMD doesn't like running running scripts that use Tango. So dmd -run buildme is crapping out with a bunch of "Symbol Undefined" errors.

This issue along with some others I've had with all of the recent buildme changes are leading me to consider other methods of building the Derelict libraries. I really don't want to resort to Makefiles, though. So as soon as tings get resolved or I come up with a nice alternative, I'll let you know.
odeamus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of getting the new sources so we can at least use them directly?
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odeamus wrote:
Is there any chance of getting the new sources so we can at least use them directly?

Well, I was going to upload them as is, but decided to test it out first in a simple application with Bud. I'm getting an Undefined Symbol error. As soon as I get it resolved I'll commit it all to the trunk.
odeamus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldacron wrote:

Well, I was going to upload them as is, but decided to test it out first in a simple application with Bud. I'm getting an Undefined Symbol error. As soon as I get it resolved I'll commit it all to the trunk.

Great. =)
aldacron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely going to be a bit before this gets resolved. I've gone to the Tango forums and IRC for help. It appears to be a Windows-only thing. As soon as I know more, I'll update.
volcore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is at the moment irrelevant for us, so linux only sources would already be very appreciated Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: