FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trac Setup :cry:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan.lewis wrote:
Okay, so I need to revert to an earlier version, and then simply check out some old code, and then check in some new code...

no imports, exports or setting up repositories. : p

Good, I always thought repositories were for old men getting a colonoscopy.

I'll try to learn what I can about it.

Sorry Brad.

I recommend this reading:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
Subversion is an incredible tool, and you'll be able to do a lot even if you don't read the whole book. I think I read chapters 1-4 extensively, and use the rest (i.e. ch 7) as a reference, as I need.

BA
dan.lewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVN Rolling Eyes
~~~~~
I think any tool that requires you to read a book to know what buttons to press is terribly counter-intuitive.

I mean... programming languages often need to be read about, but I never needed a book on using CMS, ftp protocol, or how to use this forums. If I need a book to know what means "upload" for SVN, then I think it needs to be reworked.

Version Control Confused
~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways, I've been getting by. I still don't know how to post a release or branch. I've just been uploading folders from my own versioning system, which is to copy and paste the current version into a separate folder each time I work on it, and then if the day's work passes the test suite, I copy it back to the trunk. : p I know that doesn't work for more than one person.

OBJ Files Smile
~~~~~~
Oops. yeah, you're right JCC. I've just been.. oh what's it called again... uploading all the files from my working folder. You're right, uploading the OBJ files is superfluous.

Trac Themes Very Happy
~~~~~~~~
Tango has a pretty theme. I like it much better than the standard one. I'm sure alot of people do. Any chance we could vote and switch over, or just allow themes?

Thanks guys,
Dan
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan.lewis wrote:
SVN Rolling Eyes
~~~~~
I think any tool that requires you to read a book to know what buttons to press is terribly counter-intuitive.

I mean... programming languages often need to be read about, but I never needed a book on using CMS, ftp protocol, or how to use this forums. If I need a book to know what means "upload" for SVN, then I think it needs to be reworked.

The tool doesn't require you to read a book. I'm just suggesting it because given what I've seen of your attempted use, you could read a bit of it to grep the concepts. Feel free to ignore it. But if people look at you funny, don't use your code because your repos is a mess, or don't answer you when you ask questions about SVN, then I can't help you.

I'm thinking the collective experience of the Subversion developers is, well, a couple of centuries, and that SVN is, itself, building off of the vast experience of people using CVS. But if you think it needs to be reworked, I await the announcement of your new SCM with eager anticipation.
dan.lewis wrote:

Version Control Confused
~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways, I've been getting by. I still don't know how to post a release or branch. I've just been uploading folders from my own versioning system, which is to copy and paste the current version into a separate folder each time I work on it, and then if the day's work passes the test suite, I copy it back to the trunk. : p I know that doesn't work for more than one person.

All of this is in the book.
dan.lewis wrote:

OBJ Files Smile
~~~~~~
Oops. yeah, you're right JCC. I've just been.. oh what's it called again... uploading all the files from my working folder. You're right, uploading the OBJ files is superfluous.

You can set svn:ignore properties on your repos / working copy. However, details on how to do this are in the book.
dan.lewis wrote:

Trac Themes Very Happy
~~~~~~~~
Tango has a pretty theme. I like it much better than the standard one. I'm sure alot of people do. Any chance we could vote and switch over, or just allow themes?

I have plans to allow projects to choose alternate themes. It's on the (rather long) list of my TODO's, and Tango's template is a bit specialized, so I'm not totally clear on doing this just yet.
dan.lewis wrote:

Thanks guys,
Dan

dan.lewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Uh... Brad? Can I ask to be a mod for the Walnut forum?

Thanks, Dan.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all set
dan.lewis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks Brad.

I realized well over a week ago that I needed to figure out SVN if I wanted anyone to help me on the project. I was unusually resistant to learning there. Confused Even if they are over-complicating it, it's a decent tool.

I've finally found the time to spend 5 hours reading the guide on SVN.

~~~

I've tried using TortoiseSVN to revert to revision 19, and the documentation for it that I've read suggests this ought to work; however it's only affected my working copy; and I think that if I commit it, it'll just create a revision 37 or such Question So I went to trac online, and I can see all the revisions through to present. I can't, however, seem to find a way to revert to previous revisions.

So, I thought that perhaps Brad could do yet another thing for me by reverting to revision 19.

Once that's done, I'll tag Carlos' work through SVN (not copy it to the branches folder) and then commit my previous revisions in order, with svn:ignore on the binaries and obj files.

I'll then branch to 1.X and branch again to 2.X; and start trying to get some developers to help on finishing up ActiveX support for 1.X; which if I remember correctly requires me to set them as a developer in trac Question

Thanks again Brad, guys.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan.lewis wrote:
Awesome, thanks Brad.

I realized well over a week ago that I needed to figure out SVN if I wanted anyone to help me on the project. I was unusually resistant to learning there. Confused Even if they are over-complicating it, it's a decent tool.

I've finally found the time to spend 5 hours reading the guide on SVN.

~~~

I've tried using TortoiseSVN to revert to revision 19, and the documentation for it that I've read suggests this ought to work; however it's only affected my working copy; and I think that if I commit it, it'll just create a revision 37 or such Question So I went to trac online, and I can see all the revisions through to present. I can't, however, seem to find a way to revert to previous revisions.

What about getting a fresh working copy of trunk r37 somewhere, and doing a

svn merge -r37:19

After that runs, check to see that this working copy is reflective of your codebase as of r19. This only affects the new working copy, so you haven't fouled anything up yet... If the working copy is as you want it, then just

svn ci -m "reverted back to r19"

That will make r38 in your repos, and it will be exactly as r19 was, so you can proceed to develop from there.

There could be a better way to do this, with 'svn cp' and the URL to URL option, but I'm not sure of that. If you're interested, 'svn help cp' would be the place to go.
dan.lewis wrote:

So, I thought that perhaps Brad could do yet another thing for me by reverting to revision 19.

Once that's done, I'll tag Carlos' work through SVN (not copy it to the branches folder) and then commit my previous revisions in order, with svn:ignore on the binaries and obj files.

I'll then branch to 1.X and branch again to 2.X; and start trying to get some developers to help on finishing up ActiveX support for 1.X; which if I remember correctly requires me to set them as a developer in trac Question

Thanks again Brad, guys.

dan.lewis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Brad. Smile

I was just wondering if it was possible to clean-slate, since I wasn't doing it right. I tend to "write one to throw away" alot. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I'll run with that.
dan.lewis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... apparently I still know nothing about SVN.

I tried committing Carlos' old revision 19 to tags by dropping it in trunk, committing, then tagging. That worked well. Then I copied the version 1.0 trunk into the trunk folder. (should cause a new revision, posting that to trunk right?) Wrong.

Apparently, you need to then delete trunk, create a new trunk folder. Check it out. Then commit. Otherwise it posts it to tags.

Evil or Very Mad I just experienced monitor rage. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: