FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOWTO: BUD using GDC 0.23 on Linux x86_64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nietsnie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: HOWTO: BUD using GDC 0.23 on Linux x86_64 Reply with quote

This is sort of a cross post from the Derelict forums, but I thought it may be valid here as well (check: http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2558)

Step by step on how to get Bud/Build working on your linux x86_64 system with a properly installed 64bit gdc:

1. Get Build/Bud 3.04: http://trac.dsource.org/projects/build/browser/downloads/bud-3.04.src.zip?format=raw
2. Unzip build somewhere
3. Apply this patch: http://www.subracing.com/bud-gdc.patch (patch -p1 < bud-gdc.patch)
4. Build build:
cd <build>/Source; make -f Makefile.gdc; ./build build -full -op
5. Put in your path somewhere
Auria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick, remove that patch and use bud config files instead, before Derek sees that and strangles you Wink

Razz
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auria wrote:
Quick, remove that patch and use bud config files instead, before Derek sees that and strangles you Wink

Razz

LOL ... I know he wasn't seriously suggesting that the source be patched if the config file process can actually have the same effect. I mean, that would be truly silly.
Nietsnie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
Auria wrote:

Razz

LOL ... I know he wasn't seriously suggesting that the source be patched if the config file process can actually have the same effect. I mean, that would be truly silly.

Ah, I wasn't quite sure how the config files were used, so I just modified what I needed to, to make things work.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nietsnie wrote:
Derek Parnell wrote:
Auria wrote:

Razz

Ah, I wasn't quite sure how the config files were used, so I just modified what I needed to, to make things work.

And I went to all that trouble to write the documentation Crying or Very sad Sometimes I don't know why I bother Razz
Nietsnie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, sorry Sad

I'll go read your fine documentation and modify my post to reflect this.
Auria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:

And I went to all that trouble to write the documentation Crying or Very sad Sometimes I don't know why I bother Razz

Hi Derek, sometimes i have tried to use the documentation but found it was sometimes hard to find precisely what i wanted. Not sure why, but it feels like a bunch of keywords in a very long page with no subsections, and sometimes vagues descriptions (i.e. can't remember what but at some point i wasn't sure what was the difference between 2 commands despite reading the description, etc.)

documentation si great, and i do read it Razz it's just hard to follow at times
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auria wrote:

documentation si great, and i do read it Razz it's just hard to follow at times

Thanks. This is why I'm a programmer, I guess. Anyhow, I'll spend some time on the docs to make them useful.
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, I've got a crazy idea regarding the docs. It's probably more work than you want to do since you have already written so much documentation, but I hope you won't mind if I suggest it anyway.

Instead of having the documentation as webpages that don't seem to be easy to do keyword searches with, you could put the docs into the Trac wiki. Then, someone could just type in what they want to find out about in the Trac search box, and Trac would do the dirty work.

I know it's not usually a simple task to move content from HTML to wiki (and it'd probably more difficult for users to download all of the docs for offline use), but maybe it's not as tricky as it sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: