FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tango

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Tango Reply with quote

Hello, will Bud eventually support Tango?
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tango Reply with quote

zzzzrrr wrote:

Yes I expect it will.

I'm currently experimenting with Tango and working out what might be needed to allow building with Tango rather than Phobos, plus what I need to do to have Bud itself use Tango.
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tango Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
zzzzrrr wrote:

Yes I expect it will.

I'm currently experimenting with Tango and working out what might be needed to allow building with Tango rather than Phobos, plus what I need to do to have Bud itself use Tango.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. Do you recommend I hold off using Tango until more people support it? As a D newcomer, I see this Phobos vs. Tango issue to be a very confusing. Having two separate libraries may be an obstacle for attracting new programmers. I don't want to spend all my time learning the wrong library if it's eventually going to become obsolete or unsupported....

Any suggestions? I'm tempted to just wait until D matures a little more, and continue programming with Python in the meantime....

Thanks,
Mason
snoyberg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mason,

I'm also a new D programmer, and I'm finding Tango to be a great library to use. I'd suggest using it; however, since a lot of the build utils (Bud and DSSS) and other such programs still rely on Phobos, don't get rid of Phobos. My setup is a shell script to switch between the two libraries, and I'm very happy with it.

Michael
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoyberg wrote:
Hey Mason,

I'm also a new D programmer, and I'm finding Tango to be a great library to use. I'd suggest using it; however, since a lot of the build utils (Bud and DSSS) and other such programs still rely on Phobos, don't get rid of Phobos. My setup is a shell script to switch between the two libraries, and I'm very happy with it.

Michael

Thanks, you have a very good suggestion. I'll have to give it a try.
qbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tango also and probably won't go back to phobos, but like snoyberg said there are scripts that you can call once to change back and forth between the two.

Charlie
doob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be good if bud could support both tango and phobos and both dmd and gdc in a similar way rebuild in dsss does. It would be really great if you could use the bud command like this: bud --std=tango --compiler=dmd or bud --std=phobos --compiler=gdc

for the compiler option the following could be allowed (except the obvious dmd and gdc): gcc (on gentoo the gdc is built in in gcc) gdmd (for the dmd front end to gdc)
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doob wrote:
I think it would be good if bud could support both tango and phobos and both dmd and gdc in a similar way rebuild in dsss does. It would be really great if you could use the bud command like this: bud --std=tango --compiler=dmd or bud --std=phobos --compiler=gdc

for the compiler option the following could be allowed (except the obvious dmd and gdc): gcc (on gentoo the gdc is built in in gcc) gdmd (for the dmd front end to gdc)

Yes it would be good and I will get around to it. However, I have yet to install and use Tango yet, so I need to first learn about how to use it. I will probably make a Tango-based verion of Bud too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: