FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DSP User Guide is Online!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pragma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: DSP User Guide is Online! Reply with quote

The User Guide draft (v1.2) is online. Check it out:

DSPUserGuide.doc
DSPUserGuide.html
(svn/projects/dsp/trunk/doc/)

Since DSP is still under heavy development, due to the Mango rewrite, I've decided to put off the technical specifications and get right to the core of the matter. The document provides a nice high-level overview of the technology and then jumps right into documenting all the various types of tags that will be supported.

I have placed a good deal of effort deciding how the syntax of the tags should go, but as always: I'm open to suggestions on how to improve things. Is it to verbose? Not verbose enough? Need more features like JSP/ASP/PHP/CF? Please, let me know! Smile

What really sets DSP apart from similar technologies is the fact that it has eliminated the differences between servlets and custom tags (taglibs). Furthermore, you may have multiple servlets defined per .dsp file, but only one may be the default 'entry point' to the script. If no default servlet is named/defined, then the script cannot be used as a formal page like other normal scripts.

Code:
<?--example tag library "mytaglib.dsp"--?>
<dsp:page>
    <dsp:servlet name="servlet-a">
         <b>I'm servlet A!</b>
    </dsp:servlet>

<dsp:servlet name="servlet-b">
          <b>I"m servlet B!</b>
    </dsp:servlet>
</dsp:page>

Scripts with multiple servlets defined can have the entire set embedded as a set of tags with the same prefix; this is somewhat like a taglib in JSP. The embedding happens rather succinctly all in one line, and the tags just fall out into the page wherever you need them.

Code:
<?--example of utilizing a 'tag library' script (mytaglib.dsp)--?>
<tag file="mytaglib.dsp" prefix="x:"/>
<html><body>
    A: <x:servlet-a/> <br>
    B: <x:servlet-b/> <br>
</body></html>

Of course embedding one single servlet is still the same:

Code:
<?--embedding one servlet as a tag--?>
<tag file="mytaglib.dsp/servlet-a" name="x:a"/>
<html><body> <x:a/> </body></html>

Meanwhile, development on the DSP/Mango server is moving along pretty well. Right now, I have a basic server running that uses per-application config files. It displays non-scripts correctly and understands the "script.dsp/servlet-name" specification as well... I just need to rewrite the regeneration and parsing modules and I should have alpha 1 in the bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DSP All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: