FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.lib to .ddl ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobef

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: .lib to .ddl ? Reply with quote

Thanks to h3r3tic and his team I was finally able to successfully use DDL. Now I have this problem. My program is using DWT, so the plugins are too. If I loadAndRegister("dwt.lib") it takes forever. If I create a ddl file for the main program (the host) it don't have all the stuff that plugins need because it is just a host. The same applies to phobos.lib. Reading the docs I think I can bless a .lib file to make a .ddl from it, and it works without complains, but if I load the .ddl file later (or ddlinfo it) I get an exception. Any ideas?

Thanks
pragma

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: .lib to .ddl ? Reply with quote

bobef wrote:
Thanks to h3r3tic and his team I was finally able to successfully use DDL. Now I have this problem. My program is using DWT, so the plugins are too. If I loadAndRegister("dwt.lib") it takes forever. If I create a ddl file for the main program (the host) it don't have all the stuff that plugins need because it is just a host. The same applies to phobos.lib. Reading the docs I think I can bless a .lib file to make a .ddl from it, and it works without complains, but if I load the .ddl file later (or ddlinfo it) I get an exception. Any ideas?

Thanks

It sounds like you're using things correctly. Keep in mind that bless-ing a .lib file only wraps it and allows the linker to delay the actual link phase by a process known as "lazy loading". Wrapping was intended more for metadata, and for future speed enhancements, but right now it's probably just in the way for what you're doing.

Out of curiosity, how big is "dwt.lib"? (I've heard it's a huge project) I've never tested DDL on anything of scale, so perhaps there's something that could be re-architected to improve loading with large libraries.
bobef

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwt.lib is around 4mb for the release version. Add phobos.lib and few smaller and the size grows... and the loading times becomes unacceptably long (like 5 or more seconds for something that normally loads for 0.3 seconds or less).
pragma

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible.

All I can say is that "I'm working on it." When I have DDL ported and ready to go, I'll profile it against loading and linking DWT.

My guess is it's the linker that's slowing things down, but I have no way to prove that at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDL - D Dynamic Libraries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: