FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving a D file Crashes Eclipse 3.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Saving a D file Crashes Eclipse 3.0 Reply with quote

I've got a project set up (mango to be exact) in Eclipse 3.1 (was using Eclipse 3.0 but same problem). I've successfully opened D files, navigated, done a "build all", etc. Everything works fine until I try to save ANY d file. Either saving from the menu or from the toolbar button immediately crashes Eclipse. Naturally, I can't use eclipse if it won't let me save files! Back to the basic text editors for me.

Eclipse 3.0 crashed with no notification at all... 3.1 at least tells me that it's crashing.

Anybody else with this problem?

Maybe I'll take a peek at how leds is coming along.
teqdruid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Outline Reply with quote

Do you have the outline open? There was a bug where a NullPointerException occurred upon saving if the outline wasn't open. I can't recall whether the bug is fixed only in the repository, or if it's in the latest release.

Do you have Eclipse building D code for you? How are you running the build? Are you using CDT?

Last I tried, I couldn't get LEDS to compile with the latest DMD I'm running, and the binary for Linux just crashed, so I gave up and got back to work on eclipseD.
Blandger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Outline Reply with quote

demmegod wrote:
Do you have the outline open? There was a bug where a NullPointerException occurred upon saving if the outline wasn't open.

Yes. Try to open 'Outline' window firstly for any source file. This error should go away.

Quote:
I can't recall whether the bug is fixed only in the repository, or if it's in the latest release.

I seems NOT (for me) on WinXP, Eclipse 3.0, eclipseD0.1.3.zip - 2004-06-14.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Outline Reply with quote

demmegod wrote:
Do you have the outline open? There was a bug where a NullPointerException occurred upon saving if the outline wasn't open. I can't recall whether the bug is fixed only in the repository, or if it's in the latest release.

Yes, outline is open. If I edit a file or save a new file (even when the outline is open on the right side), eclipse crashes immediately.

demmegod wrote:
Do you have Eclipse building D code for you? How are you running the build? Are you using CDT?

A few months ago, eclipse was building D code. But I've reinstalled Eclipse afresh since then. I believe I've succeeded in building mango with elcipse, just can't save any files! Yes, CDT is installed also (actually the whole elipse SDK as well). I haven't used CDT yet with the fresh installation, but I've used it before.

demmegod wrote:
Last I tried, I couldn't get LEDS to compile with the latest DMD I'm running, and the binary for Linux just crashed, so I gave up and got back to work on eclipseD.

I haven't tried to compile LEDS. I've downloaded the LEDS statically linked binary. It wouldn't run because for some odd reason in expects to have access to the Xinerama library (which I don't use because I don't use more than one monitor). I gave up on it for now. I was hoping to at least get Eclipse working for development since it seems pretty slick if not bulky, but so far....

Kate, Kwrite, and Scite are proving good replacements for basic code editing for now.

Looks like you've updated EclipseD. Maybe I'll give the new beta a try to see if it fixes the save error.

thanks,

John R.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still crashes on save in 0.1.4 Sad

I think it might be my platform. I'm using the blackdown jre 1.4.1. It's the default setup for gentoo linux.

I'm not sure what else could be the problem. Although it seemed to be working with previous versions (pre 3.0 release) with the early EclipseD plugin.

Blackdown java does appear to output a long crash log called hs_err_pidxxxx.log where xxxx is the number of the process id that crashed (eclipse in this case, I guess).

Later,

John R
teqdruid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: J2SE and Logs Reply with quote

You may want to try J2SE from Sun, although I don't know what (if any) difference that will make. Also, if that doesn't work, post your Eclipse log here, as well as the crash log (the hs_pid one) although the crash log doesn't provide a hole lot of useful info.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: J2SE and Logs Reply with quote

demmegod wrote:
You may want to try J2SE from Sun, although I don't know what (if any) difference that will make. Also, if that doesn't work, post your Eclipse log here, as well as the crash log (the hs_pid one) although the crash log doesn't provide a hole lot of useful info.

That did the trick... I quickly downloaded the sun-jre-bin-1.4.2.05 and configured it to be the main jre. Restarted my system. Ran Eclipse. Save worked!

Strange... I guess blackdown is still kind of buggy.

Thanks for the help,

John R
teqdruid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: No Problem Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the help,

No problem!

It is strange. I haven't used Blackdown much, but the little I have used it, I haven't had any problems. I can't think of anything eclipseD is doing on save that is so different from the regular text editors.

Please let me know how you like eclipseD. We're going to have some pretty exciting stuff soon. Soon being once I can tear myself away from working on neuralNexus (neuralnexus.com) for a couple days.

John
Blandger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: No Problem Reply with quote

demmegod wrote:
Please let me know how you like eclipseD.

I'm use it for DWT. It's quite well but needs to be improved.

Quote:
We're going to have some pretty exciting stuff soon.

Looking forward them.

Working on DWT I found myself as missing following features the most (comparing to the Java code features):

1. Jump to the error line in the source code window straight from the console window by clicking error message. Now I use Ctrl+L (go to line...)

2. Go to method/variable declaration (or implementation for metod) using F3 (for java). now I use 'Find' Ctrl+F for one file or 'Search' for full project in order to find some particular method/variable.

3. Please, make 'file saving' faster. When I save some very big files in DWT (control.d, widget.d, gc.d, etc...) it takes several seconds and takes a full CPU performance (about 100?). I'm not sure but may be it's because you are constructing/reinitilizing 'Outline' structs/collections??? on _every_ saving, aren't you? If it's so is it possible to postpone this activity till it's really needed (Opening 'Outline window')?

4. The less neccesary thing to make the outlining hierarchy looking more 'beautiful' like Java does. You could take Java icons but actually it's a not very essential...

5. There are a lot of stuff ('base' java plugins) for Eclipse which would be very helpful for D - bookmarks, intellisense, refactoring, search for D code (as it's made for java code), etc... But I understand it's not a very easy and can take a lot of time to implement them.

Quote:
Soon being once I can tear myself away from working on neuralNexus (neuralnexus.com) for a couple days.

Will wait. Smile
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No Problem Reply with quote

demmegod wrote:
It is strange. I haven't used Blackdown much, but the little I have used it, I haven't had any problems. I can't think of anything eclipseD is doing on save that is so different from the regular text editors.

I can't either! Granted I don't know an enormous amount about java.

demmegod wrote:
Please let me know how you like eclipseD. We're going to have some pretty exciting stuff soon. Soon being once I can tear myself away from working on neuralNexus (neuralnexus.com) for a couple days.

Will do. I've been using eclipse and Eclipsed over the past several hours and have been enjoying it immensely... so something must be right. I'm looking forward to the improvements that are planned. Sounds like EclipseD has a promising future.

Ah yes, neuralnexus. I've had a peek at the project that you're working on. Seems like an agressive project. What language are you programming it in?
teqdruid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: neuralNexus Reply with quote

Aggressive? Yes. Fun? Oh yeah.

Language?
D, although there will be bindings for other ones, since not many people program in D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> eclipseD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: