FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DUIT vs. gtkD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which name do you prefer for this D GUI library?
DUIT
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
gtkD
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
other
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

okibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: DUIT vs. gtkD Reply with quote

So, which name does everyone prefer?

If you chose other, please specify.
Ant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DUIT vs. gtkD Reply with quote

okibi wrote:
So, which name does everyone prefer?

If you chose other, please specify.

I was getting used to Duit, even attached...

I believe to be better for the project to be found on searches for gtk.
Also in north america DUI means "Driving Under the Influence",
that's why I added the 't' at the end but it's still to similar to DUI.

for that I cannot vote on Duit.

Ant
okibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is a good idea to have gtk in the name, and that DUI may not be a good name because of your reasoning, however I'm attached to it as well. I've called it duit for awhile now and everywhere I talk about the project I refer to it as duit, which is why I voted duit.

Honestly, I think gtkD is a better choice, but I do love the DUIT...
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to name it gtkD...
but that's kind of sad. gtkD just looks so ugly (especially with the capital D). gtk itself is a very poor name. Furthermore, it is my impression that duit consists of much more than a gtk interface. It therefore deserves much more of a name. Smile

"DUIT" as a name wasn't optimal either (although decidedly better than DUI), but it was "pronouncable" and therefore quite catchy. Is there any other name that might fit and still make the user understand the gtk connection?

I'm sorry if this drags out the final decision. Perhaps the decision has already been made.

Anyway, great to see things moving along, Ant. Looks like you're are finally getting the support you were looking for a few years ago. Very Happy

-JJR
bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer gtkD too.
but the main class should still be called Gtk.

Duit.main() or Gtkd.main() is just wrong. :p
hauptmech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gtk for the main class... I think gtkd or gtkD make sense. "gtk+Very Happy" is my recommendation... So it will be clear to all that using D for gtk -> a happy programmer.

There are opinions from from the last time this came up...
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1351
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... yes, good to bring up the previous discussion on the matter. The overall conclusion seems to have been that gtkd was the best choice... NOT gtkD.

gtkd is a good compromise, I agree. It appears to be the most logical solution. Dgtk or GtkD or gtkD all look very ugly with their capitalized letters. One other argument for lower caps is that this is d covention for package names anyway.

I vote for "gtkd" (ALL lower caps) if no other better options come up. "gtkd" is more consistant with the rival C++ bindings, gtkmm. Like the previous old thread mentiond, gtkc can represent the pure C gtk package. (In the old thread, Pyshchobrat made a very strong case for this naming convention.) Furthermore, if we get signals/slots in gtkd, we'll have a full gtkmm rival for sure. Wink

Just, please... no capitals in the name... ick Smile

-JJR

PS. In fact, looking over the old thread again, it seems that Ant actually showed preference for the name gtkd in his final post. Don't know what happened there? Now the internal lib goes with gtkD, instead. At any rate, Ant, when you decide on the name, can you make the changes to the lib as soon as possible, so that duit or whatever is completely removed (right now it's confusing). Also it would be helpful if the sourceforge site and dsource forums adopted the name change too. Brad has said he will be willing to help with that. All the best!
okibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just suggest that while voting, please ignore any capitalization.

For example, if you want gtkd, please chose gtkD and specify the lowercase d in your post.

Thank you.
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that "gtkd" is the best choice. It makes it immediately guessable that it's related to both GTK+ and the D Programming Language. I would be fine with gtkD or dGtk or whatever, but "gtkd" is probably the best variant. All lowercase is the new all uppercase. Wink

(Although DUI and DUIT are quicker to say, it's not obvious from those names that the project is related to GTK or even D. You might as well name the project "Rhubarb".)
Ant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
I think that "gtkd" is the best choice....

I like gtkD is it that bad?

the capital D separates the gtk from the D.

hauptmech, maybe we need to change again to gtkd...

should the main class be Gtk (as bob suggested) instead of GtkD or Gtkd?

Ant
hauptmech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think at the moment:

Project name: gtkD
You don't write
Code:
 #include <gtk+.h>
and the cap D is becoming the defacto brand of D. It is a proper noun.

Module name:
Code:

import gtk;
import gtk.button;

(Assumes that duit will be solid enough to be *the* gtk+ wrapper for D)

Main Class:
Code:

Gtk.main(); //or
Gtkd.main();

(Just to remind: the cap G hints to D programmers you are using a static member, not an instance member...)

lib name: libgtkd.a
snoyberg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:
(Although DUI and DUIT are quicker to say, it's not obvious from those names that the project is related to GTK or even D. You might as well name the project "Rhubarb".)

I change my vote to Rhubarb
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauptmech wrote:
What I think at the moment:

Project name: gtkD
You don't write
Code:
 #include <gtk+.h>
and the cap D is becoming the defacto brand of D. It is a proper noun.

Okay, for project name, I'll try not to be too concerned about whether it becomes gtkD or gtkd. Smile I think what strikes me about the gkdD is that it looks unbalanced, kind of like the we have a big fella sitting on the other end of the boat.

hauptmech wrote:

Module name:
Code:

import gtk;
import gtk.button;

[/code]

I am concerned about using the gtk namespace to represent the domain of the OO wrapper classes, however. I think the package and module names "gtk" should be reserved for the actual C gtk functions, especially since they may be used independenly of DUIT -- a direct C interface to gtk. This project, although using gtk as it's base, is NOT gtk (it's a individually concocted OO GUI Framework), so it's misleading to name the duit object oriented namespace gtk.

hauptmech wrote:

(Assumes that duit will be solid enough to be *the* gtk+ wrapper for D)

Main Class:
Code:

Gtk.main(); //or
Gtkd.main();

(Just to remind: the cap G hints to D programmers you are using a static member, not an instance member...)

lib name: libgtkd.a

Main class with first caps is recommended D style anyway. I would agree with this format. But then if the name of the project is gtkD... it may follow to use the same naming convention here which would mean GtkD (looks wierd but maybe it can will grow on me Smile ). I'm still not sure that using just plain Gtk is appropriate for an OO wrap like DUIT.

Also, I'd like to point out that compiling such a project to a library is somewhat error prone with D and may be for quite awhile as long as templates don't coexist with the past C-based library technology. It's actually nunnecessary anyway and much easier to use a tool like build/bud/dsss to pull in only the required modules for a gtkd based project. Granted this problem with libraries may not exist with DUIT yet, but it will as soon as the developers decide to use more fancy D features like templates. D really needs its own linker/object format technology to make the world a better place, but, for now, we have a fair bit of flexibility still with the tools at hand.

-JJR
hauptmech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the namespace.

gtk.* for the C binding (gtkc.* was also suggested; which would catch some typo induced errors)
gtkd.* for the D OOP Wrapper
kaarna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: I'd like to suggest that the svn repo be cleaned of duit Reply with quote

I think that it's confusing for new users and wannabe gtkD developers, that the current svn trunk still contains the old duit files. I just had a short break of coding, and already had forgotten about it, and again for a second, I started hacking on the duit files. So, it might be a little confusing for new users, who do an svn checkout of trunk, that it's not those files you have to compile, it's those files inside the directory called gtkD.

I think the old duit files should just be deleted with
Code:
svn delete file_or_dir_name_here

The files won't go anywhere. You can always fetch them by doing a checkout of an older revision number. (Do this in a new directory):
Code:
svn co -r 314 http://www.dsource.org/projects/dui/trunk

The repository would just look a lot nicer with only a gtkD directory inside the trunk directory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: