FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

build files::ie .d files with version(build) pragma's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
div0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: build files::ie .d files with version(build) pragma's Reply with quote

Is there anyway to specify a directory of files to bud?

I'm trying to build DUI with bud at the moment and it would be very helpful to just be able to specify that the contents of a directory be compiled rather than individual files.
It would even better with a recurse option Wink

At the moment it seems the quickest way is just to list all the files in the directory either on the command line or my bud file.

Building an .exe is easy as there is an obvious entry point, but for the DUI library it's just lots of directories with files in them.
There is probably some small subset of files that can act as the top level as it where, but identifying them would take longer than just explicitly listing all the files.

But going to the trouble of listing all the files seems to make bud redundant, I'd be better off just writing a makefile Very Happy

Also could some body for the love off god add some error reporting to bud?

It's extremely unhelpful to have parse errors not being reported and not found files being silently ignored even with the -V option!
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: build files::ie .d files with version(build) pragma's Reply with quote

div0 wrote:

I'm trying to build DUI with bud at the moment and it would be very helpful to just be able to specify that the contents of a directory be compiled rather than individual files.

At the moment it seems the quickest way is just to list all the files in the directory either on the command line or my bud file.

Laughing I'm actually working in that enhancement right now. If an entry on the command line is a directory, all the source files in that directory will be compiled. If the "-deep" switch is used, the scan will also include sub-directories. The scan depth can be controlled such as "-deep:1" to go only one level of sub-directories.

div0 wrote:

It's extremely unhelpful to have parse errors not being reported and not found files being silently ignored even with the -V option!

What do you mean by "parse errors"?
I don't understand "not found files being silently ignored" because every file you specify on the command line must exist, otherwise Bud issues an error message. Can you be specific by giving me an example?
div0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: build files::ie .d files with version(build) pragma's Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
div0 wrote:

Laughing I'm actually working in that enhancement right now. If an entry on the command line is a directory, all the source files in that directory will be compiled. If the "-deep" switch is used, the scan will also include sub-directories. The scan depth can be controlled such as "-deep:1" to go only one level of sub-directories.

div0 wrote:

What do you mean by "parse errors"?
I don't understand "not found files being silently ignored" because every file you specify on the command line must exist, otherwise Bud issues an error message. Can you be specific by giving me an example?

sry, wasn't very clear. I meant problems with pragmas in .d files for bud.

ie

version(build)
{ pragma (include, ./somefile) }

if the somefile doesn't exist it's just silently ignored.
had me scratching my head for a while.
if possible bud should issue a warning at least.
also it wasn't clear from the doc's whether the file name should be a string or not.

i'm looking forward to the next version of bud. I dream of living in a world without makefiles!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: