FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Status ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Status ? Reply with quote

What is the status of tiolink, is it ready to use? and how is the platform support ?
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment i have the sources in a mercurial repository. I am waiting for Brad, making a dsource.org public server.

State is:
I have a Java application which can successfully work with calling D. This is in the moment all I need Smile. The call from D to Java is missing implementation.

Supported platform is linux. The libdbus port on windows has a problem with connecting to the dbus-java. My D dbus implementation is platform agnostic (i think).

License: the libdbus is in process of relicensing from GPL to X11. They are waiting for the replies of their contributors. I alsso want to wait, so i can publish with X11 license.
doob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean with "agnostic".

I only need to be able to call D from Java right now, but it would be nice the other way around also. I thought I go with your philosophy and building applications in D and the GUI in Java instead of using your the SWT port.

If linux is supported do you think it will work with osx also, I like to use Tiolink with linux, windows and osx, if possible.
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agnostic in the sense, it uses no system specific things, as far as I am aware of. It should work on windows as soon as the libdbus port for windows (windbus) is cooperating with dbus-java. I am just waiting and hoping this problem will be solved from the windbus people. The problem is posted on the dbus mailing list.

About the name "TioLink":
First I thought I will create a bridge on top of JNI. But this cannot work. So I switched to dbus. Now my implementation is going to become a, so called, "dbus language binding" library (not limited to bridge to java). So I will delete this project and create a new one called "dbus-d". This matches the naming scheme of the other dbus bindings like dbus-python, dbus-java, etc. Some of these bindings use the low level libdbus which is a C implementation. Some (like dbus-java, DBusSharp) are complete reimplementations of the protocol. dbus-d uses the libdbus.

Mac OS: I know nothing about Mac OSX. But I think there should be also a libdbus-1.so. If it exists, it should be no big problem.

Calling D->Java: There is only the implementation missing. It is just, that I had no need for it Smile

I think dbus is really a cool thing. Very fast, and everything is clearly typed, kind of object oriented, exceptions, sync/async calls. Having this in D opens the door also for connecting to other languages than only java.
doob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any instructions/documentations to get started. I assume the first is to download and install libdbus.
keinfarbton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. yes, first requirement is a working libdbus for macos.

Please send me your mail address, then I will send you a copy of my repository. (Private message, anybody else?)

2. Then you need to specify your interface in XML, like specidied in the DBus specidifcation (introspection data)

3. Run the CreateInterface tool, that will create the D code.

4. Implement the interface with your user code

5. Create your Java application with dbus-java

6. Include the startup routines for the compiled D program. Those copy the D executable from a resource file to disk, start it with the connection parameter set as environment variables.

7. Load objects and use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DBus-D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: