FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tidying up the code & documentation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Tidying up the code & documentation Reply with quote

Hi,

I've again looked over the code, and I think there is a great need to split the multiarray.d file into seperate fies (2390 lines quite a bit much)

What do you think of splitting the file into something like algorithms.d, ndarray.d, etc.
These can then be made available thru multiarray.d with public import.

The next thing, I do not understand is the subdirectory bbmath. There are the same files in there as in the multiarray directory? Are some of them redundant?

I tried to generate a decent HTML documentation using doxygen, but my version (1.4.3) seems to fail at templated classes.
schani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion of mine: How about moving the dlapack and dblas files to the bindings project?
baxissimo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schani wrote:
Another suggestion of mine: How about moving the dlapack and dblas files to the bindings project?

That's a good idea. I wasn't aware of the bindings project, but it definitely looks like a good place for it. Looks like the GSL bindings in there have another wrapper of BLAS... if you don't mind looking at GPL code.
baxissimo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tidying up the code & documentation Reply with quote

schani wrote:
Hi,

I've again looked over the code, and I think there is a great need to split the multiarray.d file into seperate fies (2390 lines quite a bit much)

What do you think of splitting the file into something like algorithms.d, ndarray.d, etc.
These can then be made available thru multiarray.d with public import.

The next thing, I do not understand is the subdirectory bbmath. There are the same files in there as in the multiarray directory? Are some of them redundant?

I tried to generate a decent HTML documentation using doxygen, but my version (1.4.3) seems to fail at templated classes.

Yes, I do tend to just put everything in one file at the beginning of development until some natural boundary lines between parts begin to emerge. But I think you're right there are some clear boundary lines in there.

About bbmath, I think I decided to move everything under that top-level package name at some point because I was working on several math-related chunks of functionality that were separate things, like the Radial basis function module that uses MultiArray.

Maybe I didn't remove the old files properly from SVN when I did the move?

Doxygen doesn't understand D as far as I know, so I wouldn't expect that to work. You have to use dmd -D. Or use dsss build -doc.
schani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tidying up the code & documentation Reply with quote

baxissimo wrote:

Yes, I do tend to just put everything in one file at the beginning of development until some natural boundary lines between parts begin to emerge. But I think you're right there are some clear boundary lines in there.

Well, I'll try to seperate the files in my local directory and put them under trunk/seperated, would you mind giving me svn write rights?

baxissimo wrote:

About bbmath, I think I decided to move everything under that top-level package name at some point because I was working on several math-related chunks of functionality that were separate things, like the Radial basis function module that uses MultiArray.

Maybe I didn't remove the old files properly from SVN when I did the move?

Well, as this project has the potential to grow some "sidearms", that's perfectly logic.

Can you please remove the files from the multiarray directory?

baxissimo wrote:

Doxygen doesn't understand D as far as I know, so I wouldn't expect that to work. You have to use dmd -D. Or use dsss build -doc.

Doxygen does understand D, at least they claim that on their homepage.
Support just seems to be not as good as for C++ and Java right now.
baxissimo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tidying up the code & documentation Reply with quote

schani wrote:

Ok, finally got time to look into it. Looks like in my working directory I just had forgotten to commit after moving everything into bbmath.

Also if you can think of a better name than "bbmath" I'd be all for it. But I couldn't think of anything that was broad enough but not too broad. Something like "scientific", "SciD", "numeric", "NumD" are nice but too broad -- it acts like this is the only math or science project that exists in D.

Ooh, how about "Murray" as a sort of smash-up of "Maths/Multidimensional Universal/Utility Array"? In the end people don't have to think about that though. It's just Murray -- just a name.
schani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like Bill Murray...

I think the name is ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MultiArray All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: