FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please at least document base.d

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baxissimo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Please at least document base.d Reply with quote

I know writing documentation is a huge project and not something you can do in a few hours. But please at least put some comments on the methods in the event structures in dfl\base.d. It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours I would think.

I shouldn't have to run experiments to figure out things like MouseEventArgs.button actually returns a set of buttons OR'ed together as opposed to a single button as the name implies. And I'm just about to dive into trying to figure out the difference between keyCode, keyValue, and keyData. A brief one-line doc comment for each of these functions would have saved me the hassle.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Please at least document base.d Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do.

I also watch the DflDoc wiki RSS feed and go over changes anyone has made, so if you just type in what you think something does, I will go over it and fix it up, and perhaps do even more.
baxissimo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Please at least document base.d Reply with quote

Chris Miller wrote:
I'll see what I can do.

I also watch the DflDoc wiki RSS feed and go over changes anyone has made, so if you just type in what you think something does, I will go over it and fix it up, and perhaps do even more.

I couldn't find any entries for MouseEventArgs or KeyEventArgs in the online docs. That was the first thing I checked.

But now going back after grepping through the source to find out where they are, I realize they're documented under the unlikely "base" heading.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Please at least document base.d Reply with quote

baxissimo wrote:
But now going back after grepping through the source to find out where they are, I realize they're documented under the unlikely "base" heading.

Where else should they go? Those aren't tied to a control, they're basic computer concepts.
baxissimo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Please at least document base.d Reply with quote

Chris Miller wrote:
baxissimo wrote:

Where else should they go? Those aren't tied to a control, they're basic computer concepts.

If the index included all classes, that would be fine with me. Failing that, of the things on the top-level alphabetical list I would expect MouseEventArgs to be documented under either EventArgs or Event. I was going to try to edit the index to add it myself, but it seems to be autogenerated somehow.

Including links to the various event args docs pages under EventArgs would be sufficient I think. It seems the actual EventArgs subclasses are scattered throughout the code. I noticed FormShortcutEventArgs is in yet another place.

I don't know how you generated the documentation but it would be nice if all classes included links for all subclasses. I think Doxygen can do that automatically. wxWidgets docs do. Qt docs too: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qwidget.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: