FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gtkdTangoTests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: gtkdTangoTests Reply with quote

I think I lost 2 posts - 3rd attempt...

When I run gtkdTangoTests I get:

(gtkDTangoTests:16000): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
tango.core.Exception.OutOfMemoryException: Memory allocation failed

What is going on? Is this a known problem?

Ant
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to help gtkD becoming fully Tango compatible, but the build system is somewhat non-obvious to me (trying latest svn):

Trying to use the makeAll.sh and similar, I only get an error about non-existant compd.

Using the dsss.conf from http://www.dsource.org/projects/dui/wiki/BuildingWithDSSS , I am able to build the library after fixing two instances of gc -> GC.

Further testing the demo, I now get compile errors. At least one is related to a recent change in Tango (thread.sleep takes a timespan), but seems to be more of a problem with code being ported from using thread.pause. I would recommend trying to find a better way to achieve what you want, for instance by asking in the Tango forums with what you want to do.

I also get this error:

../../demos/gtkD/TestDrawingArea.d(351): function gdk.Pixbuf.Pixbuf.renderToDrawable (Drawable,GdkGC *,int,int,int,int,int,int,GdkRgbDither,int,int) does not match parameter types (GdkDrawable *,GdkGC *,int,int,int,int,int,int,GdkRgbDither,int,int)
../../demos/gtkD/TestDrawingArea.d(351): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression ((d.getDrawableStruct)()) of type GdkDrawable * to gdk.Drawable.Drawable

For the above, I have used gtkD and Tango trunk.

Note that Tango is going through quite some changes for the next release, documented here : http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/BreakingChanges994

If you want, I can commit minor fixes, like those with the GC. And get the dsss.conf in there ...
kaarna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up the following post briefly:
Do people want me to commit my working version of gtkD (possibly Tango only) to the gtkD subversion repository or not?

And to put it a bit longer and much more unclear:
I have a working version of gtkD. It works with Tango and the compiling is easy with dsss. The only problems of my branch are:
1. I can't test it for Phobos. (I simply won't. I have no motivation at all to support two standard libs.) It might work. My gtkDgl propably won't work, but you could be able to get it to work with just a few minor changes. So, I can't guarantee it will work with Phobos. Somebody else would have to do that.
2. If I remember correctly it requires a few handtuned files if you use the gtkwrap to create the source files. Atleast /src/gtkc/gdk.d is affected. (It is because I wanted to have one little function that would give me XID of a gdkWindow. And all the other functions won't work, and would need more work, but I don't need them. (I'd guess nobody needs them, but they have to be hand removed from /gtkc/gdk.d because gtkwrap doesn't AFAIK support not wrapping functions)).

So, if people could bear with these two little imperfections, that can be fixed later, I would like to commit my branch to the gtkD svn.

My branch has many dsss.confs for most of the examples. It has a working gstreamerD and gtkDgl (only with Tango, as I said). The wrapping mostly works if I remember correctly. (Compiling gtkwrap still needs tangobos, so that would have to be ported sometime in the future too. I currently don't have tangobos installed, and I don't want to mess with hand-editing right now, so I won't run gtkwrap yet to see if it works or not).

So. What do you think? If people don't want such an imperfect version, then I'll just leave it on my own computer, or publish it somewhere else as a tar.gz.

P.S. I'm using git now, and my git-svn doesn't work, so that's why I'm really reluctant to use svn for anything anymore... I just hope dsource get's git soon.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your Tango fixes don't break Phobos compatibility, I think you should commit.

On git, dsource now has a hg (mercurial) installed, so git will take longer to get on dsource. Also, other project members may not want to switch from svn?
okibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'm quite the opposite. I use Phobos and have no intention of using or testing Tango.

Ideally, though, I'd like to get GtkD working on both Phobos and Tango to better support the D community.

On a side note, I do like DSSS, but still prefer to use compd to compile for stuff.

To answer your question, I wouldn't break anything that already works. Meaning if yours works with Tango, but will break Phobos, don't do it.
Auria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would.

Let's face it, gtkD currently is barely able to move forward, so we can't really consider moving forward AND supporting TWO libraries. I believe D will definitely need to come to a single library to stop the confusion and trouble, and Tango development is much more dyanmic ythan Phobos development since it's developped by a team devoted to it and not by a single guy working sparingly on it when he's not busy working on the compiler itself Smile
kaarna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll try to work on it a bit more to make sure that Phobos compatibility is not broken. If Tango was working and somebody else would brake it just to get Phobos working, I'd be annoyed.
I'll see what I can do. I don't have that much time to work on this at the moment, but I'll try to find some time. Or then I'll try to get this code somewhere else until it is merged back to dsource svn... We'll see how it goes.
kaarna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to publish my repository into repo.or.cz, which is a place for everyone to push their free software git repositories.

You can get the code by first installing git 1.5 and then:
Code:
mkdir gtkD
cd gtkD
git clone git://repo.or.cz/gtkD.git

Use Tango and dsss to build it. There are some examples with their own dsss.confs there too.

If you already know git, there's a branch named mob that you can push your changes anonymously. I'll try to write a short intro on using git here later. But if you want to learn now, you can check:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html
kaarna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a short and easy tutorial on git, repo.or.cz and gtkD.
You can read it here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/gtkD.git?a=blob;f=gtkD/README_GIT;h=72847b4cddba374466d8951990f1a81c96c5ecc6;hb=master

It will show you how you can do simple and usual stuff with git, and how you can push your changes to repo.or.cz anonymously using the mob branch I've made available for you in there. Check it out, if you've waited for an excuse to learn git.

It would be nice if somebody had the time to merge it with the current svn branch here at dsource. My version is based on revision 314, and the current dsource svn is in revision 317, so there shouldn't be that many features missing. The only thing to watch for is: does my branch work with Phobos.

Or. If anyone would have time, it would even be nice if you could check does it work with Phobos. And do the small changes that it needs to work with it, and then push the changes to the mob branch in repo.or.cz.

We'll see how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: