FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Status?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JScott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Status? Reply with quote

Where is the progress of this port? Since it seems to be a tougher job than originally thought and progress seems to have slowed (understandably) I downloaded the current c++ source v1.4.3 and started working on it.

I got very intimate with custom memory allocation last semester working with GBA so maybe I can sort it out. I just wanted to see what you're planning so we can possibly coordinate.
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Status? Reply with quote

JScott wrote:
Where is the progress of this port?
From the timeline, it does seems like this project has been consistently active except for the last couple weeks.

I don't know how often clayasaurus checks this particular forum, though, so you might want to ping him with a PM in an effort to get a timely response.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I actually check these forums a bit, bit PM's are welcome too.

Your right about the project activity... I just finished my last final today so I stopped working on pretty much everything to try to finish my semester and the tankwars project.

-----------------------------

Well... I'd say the status is 90% ported with the last 10% being finding the bugs that are cropping up in the system. There are 3 different porting approaches I've been taking...

1. Trying to port Box2D 1.01 with memory management code in tact

http://www.dsource.org/projects/box2d4d/browser/branches/cpp_d_old/box2d4d

2. Trying to port Box2D 1.01 without memory management code

http://www.dsource.org/projects/box2d4d/browser/trunk/d/box2d4d

3. Trying to convert the Box2D java port to D

http://www.dsource.org/projects/box2d4d/browser/branches/box2d4d_java

#3 Got me the farthest, but I'm not too sure I like the 'java way' of things are done, I tried that to try and get myself an instant box2d but there are some bugs in there anyway.

#1 Gets crashes probably due to memory management

#2 I was planning on working on that more during christmas break, getting 1.01 to simulate physics, and then upgrading it to the latest box2d. Once that works, perhaps attempting to add custom memory management to it afterwards, so I know the crashes are explicitly due to mem managing code. Currently, there is an array bounds issue with it.

So, if you want to help with this effort, simply getting #2 to work w/ out memory management code would be a big help. If you want to work on your own too, and get it working, I'll use your code. Whichever way is the quickest.
JScott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:

Your right about the project activity... I just finished my last final today so I stopped working on pretty much everything to try to finish my semester and the tankwars project.

I hear ya. Working with D during school is a guaranteed way to make a D in biology.
-----------------------------

clayasaurus wrote:

If you want to work on your own too, and get it working, I'll use your code. Whichever way is the quickest.

It's not that I want to work on my own so much as I didn't know if it would be better to start fresh with 1.4.3 or get 1.0 working and go from there.

Right now I have it running 100% fine... until there's a collision. It's segfaulting on the creation of a contact object (step 44 in HelloWorld, right after the overloaded allocator runs but before the ctor).

I removed the code in the allocators and replaced it with simple malloc / free calls and it still crashes.

As far as the 'Java' way vs the c++ way I figure we should split the difference. We do have the use of structs as stack and value objects to reduce heap activity and I think we should use them. On the other hand Erin uses all kinds of pointer mess that I could do without.

So I'm going to work on a refactoring of the 2 versions into something more 'D' and while I'm at it throw in some DDocs.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. If you start from scratch, it would be better to start with the later version. If you end up being fed up with crashes or not being able to properly track them, then here's another thing you can do ....

1. Get the java box2d branch 1.0.0
2. Install eclipse for java
3. Get eclipse set up so you can use the debugger with it
4. Get ddbg and install http://ddbg.mainia.de/releases.html
5. Trace both programs executions... the programs execution should be the exact same
6. Get D version to work

That is what I'm going to end up trying...

If you want svn access also, let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> box2d4d All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: