FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbe can't compile tutorial example

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Newbe can't compile tutorial example Reply with quote

Hi all,

I followed the quick start tutorial instructions. The plugin module compiles ok. but I can't get quick.d to compile. At first it was complaining about needing mango modules although it didn't mention that in the installation instructions. So I installed the mango library and then I get the following errors.

C:\TestArea\D\tester>c:\DevTools\D\bud\bud quick -L/map
C:\DevTools\DSystem\import\mango\convert\Format.d(144): Error: identifier 'va_list' is not defined
C:\DevTools\DSystem\import\mango\convert\Format.d(144): Error: va_list is used as a type
C:\DevTools\DSystem\import\mango\convert\Format.d(144): Error: cannot have parameter of type void
C:\DevTools\DSystem\import\mango\convert\Format.d(659): template instance mango.convert.Format.FormatStructTemplate!(cha
r) error instantiating

Can anyone help out here.

Thanks
Bob
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ever tried to use DDL, but I have some suggestions that might be helpful for you. I suspect your problem is that the code you're trying to compile was designed for an older compiler than you're using (or perhaps it's the opposite problem). (You didn't mention whether you're using recent code from the SVN repository or an older snapshot.)

I noticed that there are some signs of recent activity in the timeline, but the most recent downloads seems to be a year or two old. I also noticed that DDL project page indicates that DDL is compatible with DMD 0.175 yet DMD 1.00 was released around the beginning of 2007:
Quote:
The project is presently at the 1.2 Beta milestone, and is compatible with DMD 0.175. It is pending an update to be compatible with DMD 1.0. Future milestones will include a Tango compatibility update as well as an upgrade to DMD 1.0

I suspect the code in the SVN matches more recent versions of DMD (and Tango is probably required, too) while the snapshots in the downloads section are probably pre-D 1.x. You didn't mention which version of DMD you were using, but I'm guessing it's either in the DMD 1.x or DMD 2.x series. That's what most people use these days. If they want to be on the bleeding edge (and aren't afraid of having to write write all of there code with each new version of DMD 2.x), they might use DMD 2.x. If they want stability and the existing features of DMD 1.x are enough, they use DMD 1.x.

(By the way, it's possible you might need to use a private message to get the attention of someone who actually knows something about DDL's development since this forum isn't particularly active.)
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe DDL works quite well from SVN trunk for recent 1.0xx DMD compilers and recent Tangos, as long as you are on Windows. DDL hasn't seen any actual new development for a long time though.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVN DDL works with SVN Tango and DMD 1.024 Cool

Here's a proof:
Quote:
C:\coding\projects\ddl\examples\quick>dmd -c plugin.d
C:\coding\projects\ddl\examples\quick>build -I..\.. -L/map quick.d
C:\coding\projects\ddl\examples\quick>quick
hello world

... and ...
Quote:
C:\coding\projects\ddl\examples\quick>dmd -c plugin.d
C:\coding\projects\ddl\examples\quick>rebuild -I../.. -L/map quick.d
(... linker command ...)
C:\coding\projects\ddl\examples\quick>quick
hello world

The compiler might complain about missing phobos.lib and put the error into the .map file (not nice). You can hack it somehow. I created a stub phobos.lib with just one obj file (with just one strangely-named function) in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDL - D Dynamic Libraries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: