FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another lucene?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: another lucene? Reply with quote

Why you have to write another lucene port? AFAIK lucene index format is very weak and slow, why dont create a new type of search engine with a better and fast inverted index format.

I'm certainly would like to participate for such project.
dw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can quantify "weak and slow", I'd love to hear about it. It may be beneficial to ask yourself *why* Lucene has got so many ports. Let me tell you why - it is simple to use and people love it.

I am not interested in Yet Another Full Text Indexer. Nor do I have time to develop my own model from scratch. What I want is a very fast, very portable version of Lucene. And I guess once it is complete, a lot of other people would be interested in the same thing.

Regardless, compatibility with the Lucene on-disk format is important, as it gives us access to every tool ever developed against the Lucene "standard". This includes Lucli, Nutch, PyLucene, etc. This will be greatly beneficial at least initially, while the stability of the code is tested.

With regards to it being "weak and slow", my initial response would be: take it up with the ASF! Smile So far, my code does not even compile yet, so there is no way anyone can say the index format is suboptimal in this new environment.

It is entirely possible that in the future, we could support our own index format. But this requires a lot of work and careful measurement - and in order to retain any claim to heritage from Lucene, we will always need to support the "old" format.

Kind regards,

David.
kar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, i can see that your aiming are towards small to mid-size D project that needs fast search engine so lucene is more than perfect. initially i tought ,oh this guy just making another pointless port to keep up with the hype.

so what its gonna be, you going to follow java-coding style like clucene does or going for performance with c style procedural coding.

anyway, im looking forward to your first alpha, and i am seriously interested in this kind of project. Laughing
dw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with I want to remain reasonably close to Lucene. I've diverged so far in these respects:

* Many accessors have become member variables instead.
* Unit tests are inline.
* Some "rich" data structures became arrays.

I intend to integrate D versions of certain "standard" tools for Lucene, such as lucli. Other than that, once I get my tests running, there should hopefully only be a small amount of performance fixes required.

I have a lot of ideas for what the component could be used for. Some of these, and a bunch more info are at the old project site:

http://code.google.com/p/d-lucene/

I'll be moving the code over to dsource.org once I figure a way to get svnsync working, and get another free weekend (had originally hoped to do all this over Christmas.. sigh).

Thanks,

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> dlucene All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: