FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ddl working on Linux?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naryl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Is ddl working on Linux? Reply with quote

I'm trying to build ddl examples in Linux, but didn't have success thus far. I would be very thankful if someone can provide an example of code working in Linux.

Also binary utilities crash with message:
./bless: relocation error: ./bless: symbol __libc_stack_end, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

If I build them from sources they work just fine except for insitu which fails to compile:
ddl/insitu/InSituLibBinary.d(27): module zlib cannot read file 'etc/zlib.d'
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya. I don't think that DDL works on linux, and frankly, it has no need to. Currently DDL can only load object files in the OMF format - i.e. the ones produced by DMD/win. Even if you loaded these on linux, the symbols parsed might be referring to symbols you wouldn't be able to resolve. The code would contain different exception handlers, too.

There were some initial works on an ELF backend for DDL, but they didn't get very far. Probably the best shot at a plugin system on linux is using GDC to compile SO libs. This gives almost everything DDL can offer at the moment, at least when coupled with some reflection data, such as what Gregor Richards' Rebuild produces and Ronin parses.
naryl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Yes, Rebuild+Ronin will suffice, but I was thinking of something cross-platform.
Looks like it'll have to wait until ELF support in DDL is finished.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be finished at all. Depends if there's anyone willing to code it. I've been scheming with Gregor about making a wrapper that used DDL on DMD/win, SO on GDC/*nix and EDLL on GDC/win. (the GDC/win part might be done by porting the lib or by finishing the COFF backend in DDL).
naryl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright. With DDL things would be somewhat easier but it isn't necessary.

Please, notify me if you and Gregor have any progress. Rolling Eyes
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to remember. If/when we create something, there will probably be an announcement on the D.announce NG.
Pragma will likely have some things to say about it, when he's back Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDL - D Dynamic Libraries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: