FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freetype update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Freetype update Reply with quote

Currently I'm working on updating the freetype bindings to version 2.3.5; this thread is to track my progress and ask a few questions. Hopefully I'll have it done in a week or so; in the mean-time I won't post the working version unless someone asks for it.

aldacron, is your last update to FT based on the previous version in svn? It looks like what is submitted is... anyway I suppose I might as well recreate these changes later (since my working version already has some big changes)?
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's based on the existing trunk. I didn't add anything from the newer Freetype. All I did was add a new module that uses normal function declarations rather than function pointers. There were no changes to the other modules other than updating the copyright and wrapping the imports in ft.d with a version statement.
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Done!

The new versions are here.

Before it's commited:
    Could someone please check it works? I have checked that it compiles and the dynamic library loads, but can't check anymore at the moment.

Aldacron: I left many old definitions in commented out regions (search for "/+ other" and you should find them). These should probably be removed, but I left them in case for some reason some of them are needed.

What I did is go through all header files with aliases in freetype/freetype.h, and make sure all definitions were in the derelict files, also sorting the derelict files to find out-dated items (the stuff in "other" sections). However, I missed out many of the C macros (many of these have been converted to enums/functions, but there's many more, particularly enum macros), and I did not check whether existing function prototypes or struct/enum contents had changed. So it's quite possible there will be the odd problem still.
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played around with this yet? Is it OK to commit?
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works when I un-comment fttypes.d [2740 .. 2744], that 'macro' is actually useful at times Wink
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knew it wouldn't be perfect first time Laughing

There's quite a few macros to do with making and defining tags I missed out too, plus many more macros (although these weren't in the original previous freetype files). I'd rather not deal with these... if anyone does they should probably write a script to convert them (I started wondering if this would have been the best way to do the whole lot anyway).

Well you probably might as well commit with that change aldacron.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll get around to it in the near future. I've just built a new box and am now going through the tiresome process of setting it up. I've never had such a difficult time of getting Windows installed. Ever. It took me over 8 hours because it kept acting goofy and locking up every time I ran Windows update or tried to activate it. Anyway, that's all settled now and I'm on to downloading and installing software. I hate this almost as bad as I hate moving.
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... when I built this box I found debian easier to install than Windows. But then I'm more used to it by now.

Hope you've managed to get it sorted out by now.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyborg16 wrote:
Hmm... when I built this box I found debian easier to install than Windows. But then I'm more used to it by now.

Windows is easy to install. It's getting it updated that's the issue. A fresh installation is a magnet for malware. As soon as you launch IE you're likely to get hit with something. I had something that kept popping up trying to tell me I had 55 errors in my registry, directing me to some non-MS website to download something to fix the problem. Yeah, right. In the end, I reformatted and reinstalled, and all was well. For a couple of days anyway.

I am going to Ubuntu on the old box once I get everything worked out.

Quote:
Hope you've managed to get it sorted out by now.

Now I'm having some sort of problem between my vid card and both of my monitors. I've never seen anything like it and couldn't reproduce it on another monitor at the shop where I had the box assembled. Even with a replacement graphics card, I get the same problem. I'm still trying to work it out.

In the meantime, I'm stuck running my old box for email and such. Unfortunately, rather than copying, I moved all of my important documents, source and what not to a USB drive, then moved it to the new computer, the day I brought it home. Grrr.

I had been planning next month to buy a new monitor to replace the CRT I've been running as a second, but I'm going to go ahead and buy it next week if I can't get this sorted before then. Man I'm frustrated.
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I updated the files in the ticket (with h3r3tic's adjustment).

The FT_MAKE_TAG macro/function I moved to fttypes.d, and included a second version taking a char[4] parameter for ease of use (e.g.: FT_MAKE_TAG!("bits") ). Both versions work fine Very Happy

That's the only changes, so apart from reproducing the static-linking version, it's ready for upload. And I confirmed it works myself this time... albeit with a very very basic test.

Btw h3r3tic, your tutorial is useful; thanks.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyborg16 wrote:
OK, I updated the files in the ticket (with h3r3tic's adjustment).

They work for me Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Btw h3r3tic, your tutorial is useful; thanks.

You're welcome! I'm glad you've found it of use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: