FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Package hierarchy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
First off, I guess we may as well join the trend and go to the /branch;/tag;/trunk format for SVN.

Sure.

csauls wrote:

Second, I'd like to do away with /sinbad/src entirely, moving all its contents to /sinbad.

I don't agree here. There will be quite a lot of source that won't be in 'sinbad', but 'samples' and others. If you do away with 'src', they will have to be in the base directory, making it possibly very cluttered (something I don't like). IJMOT (It's just my opinion, though.)

csauls wrote:

Third times a charm... or major decision in this case. To illustrate this snag, I'll speak of it in terms of three of the classes used to work with Materials: MaterialManager, MaterialSerializer, and Pass.

You mean that you want to subdivide the sinbad source more than in the original OGRE source? It's ok with me, and I like #2 best (initially). Also, I think perhaps that we might be interested in renaming some of the classes. Some of them seems to have names that are a bit to general, 'materialpass' might be better than 'pass' for instance.
csauls

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
csauls wrote:

Second, I'd like to do away with /sinbad/src entirely, moving all its contents to /sinbad.

I don't agree here. There will be quite a lot of source that won't be in 'sinbad', but 'samples' and others. If you do away with 'src', they will have to be in the base directory, making it possibly very cluttered (something I don't like). IJMOT (It's just my opinion, though.)

Hmm. At the moment we have:
/sinbad/docs
/sinbad/samples
/sinbad/src/platformmanagers
/sinbad/src/rendersystems
/sinbad/src/sinbad

I'd rather see something like:
/sinbad/docs
/sinbad/platform(s)
/sinbad/render[ers? systems? sys?]
/sinbad/samples
/sinbad/sinbad

Since I don't expect the number of divisions at that level to change any, it shouldn't be a problem.. and it makes the module statements more honest, since a module sinbad.sinbad.root should be (IMV) in /sinbad/sinbad/root.d rather than /sinbad/src/sinbad/root.d

We can always leave it like so for the time being and wait to see if it makes more or less sense later, since its a tiny effort to change it either direction.

larsivi wrote:
You mean that you want to subdivide the sinbad source more than in the original OGRE source? It's ok with me, and I like #2 best (initially). Also, I think perhaps that we might be interested in renaming some of the classes. Some of them seems to have names that are a bit to general, 'materialpass' might be better than 'pass' for instance.

I agree on un-generalizing the name. So far I've been doing the #2 style anyhow, so I'll just keep it that way and try to get more done so I can commit the obvious blanks.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:

Since I don't expect the number of divisions at that level to change any, it shouldn't be a problem.. and it makes the module statements more honest, since a module sinbad.sinbad.root should be (IMV) in /sinbad/sinbad/root.d rather than /sinbad/src/sinbad/root.d

In any case we need to decide what is the root dir for the modules. If it's src, the modules still can be named 'sinbad.root'. The lowest sinbad is actually the top dir of the repository, so I think it is unnecessary to have module names like 'sinbad.sinbad.root'. As for using Sinbad from other projects (a game, for instance), the non-src version probably would be "better looking" (resulting in -IC:\projects\sinbad, instead of -IC:\projects\sinbad\src).

I'm used to the src-dir from other projects, but then there usually is an include-dir too. I'll leave it to you, I disagree with myself here.
csauls

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, potential problem. I just had a sort of brain-flash and decided to test my fear. Basically it boils down to this: at compile time, modules such as manager\material.d and serializer\material.d will in fact clash. The odd thing I discovered when testing is that DMD does not detect this clash. It will simply output a material.obj for the first one it encounters.. then overwrite the same .obj for the next material.d and so on. It is at the linker phase that I finally got an error report.

Of course this is easily worked around, and with fully useable results, by compiling the files seperately with 'dmd -c' and leaving their .obj in their respective sub-directories and specifying them either on the compile command (dmd foo.d bar\xxx.obj baz\xxx.obj) or on an explicit link command.

Conclusion?
I think we had better pick out one or two build utilities (SCons, make, et al) and use them. I guess we knew that already, though. Smile
csauls

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and comitted a batch of blanks. Not neary everything is accounted for, but its a start. I'm mostly filling classes in by chunks based on the is-a/has-a diagrams from OGRE's doxygen output. Also moved to the /branches;/tags;/trunk format, with the contents of /trunk corresponding to the contents of /sinbad in the one-day-production-quality library.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
Of course this is easily worked around, and with fully useable results, by compiling the files seperately with 'dmd -c' and leaving their .obj in their respective sub-directories and specifying them either on the compile command (dmd foo.d bar\xxx.obj baz\xxx.obj) or on an explicit link command.

Conclusion?
I think we had better pick out one or two build utilities (SCons, make, et al) and use them. I guess we knew that already, though. Smile

I believe that A-A-P will handle this gracefully.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csauls wrote:
I went ahead and comitted a batch of blanks. Not neary everything is accounted for, but its a start. I'm mostly filling classes in by chunks based on the is-a/has-a diagrams from OGRE's doxygen output. Also moved to the /branches;/tags;/trunk format, with the contents of /trunk corresponding to the contents of /sinbad in the one-day-production-quality library.

I'm now certain that i DON'T like the non-src version of the repository.

Anyway; AFAICS, we MUST have /trunk/sinbad/the_rest
If we are to do 'import sinbad.root;', we need the sinbad dir, we can't expect people to checkout trunk into a dir called sinbad, especially if working with branches (sinbad must be the base dir in any branch too).

If you see this and agree before you leave, please tell and I can fix it.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and have suggested the same to Kris for Mango. But I can get folder-happy at times.

DWT follows this:

/trunk/dwt/rest
/branches/0.1/src/

and I think that if the 0.1 branch ever gets merged back into the trunk, it'll be:

/trunk/dwt/src/rest
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make a branch where I could work the way I wanted. I planned to use svn copy to do this, but it didn't work quite as expected and ended up being as much hassle as any other solution.

Until further notice, I'll therefore hack a bit at my working copy, committing changes that won't conflict with the current setup. The rest I can add when we're in agreement Smile
csauls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should mention, I did finally get the files touched up (to fix the odd formatting thing) and rearranged. Sorry about my extended hiatus... I kinda got distracted helping a buddy with a short project. But now that's over with, so... Yeah.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm starting to add more files, more and more seems to end up in the sinbad root source directory. The reason is two-fold. None of them fits in the subdirs, and OGRE itself puts almost all of them in the OgreMain dir. If anyone have ideas or thought, they are all easily moved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sinbad All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: