FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash in Blaze Examples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadimp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Crash in Blaze Examples Reply with quote

I recently updated my working copies of the arclib trunk and examples, and built and installed blaze.
I was able to build RunDemos.d with no problem (other than figuring out that's the one I needed) with rebuild.

However, when I run it, it only goes on for a few frames, and then reaches a segmentation fault.
I've tried switching demos in the first few frames, and for a few it works, but they crash too. I can't really say much else. I've slowed down the frame rate to see what's happening, but I can't catch anything out of the norm (since I haven't really seen the 'norm').

And as a side note, it looks like the blaze examples were developed outside of arc (calls directly to derelict), but their code hasn't really been updated to take advantage of existing features (arc.window, shapes, time, etc).
I would be glad to help with this.

Beginning D; Basic experience in PHP, C++, Java, C#, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, VB
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Crash in Blaze Examples Reply with quote

deadimp wrote:
I was able to build RunDemos.d with no problem (other than figuring out that's the one I needed) with rebuild.

You're using a very old copy of Blaze. Check the trunk and project page for updated demos and code.
deadimp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know about that! I was using the examples and library from arclib's extensions.
Checked out the source / examples from blaze's SVN and it all worked. Thanks!

How should blaze be included in the arclib extensions, then?
Or should it be left as separate? I think that might reduce a bit o' confusion.

Also, would you consider porting the blaze examples to use arclib? I think it would be a great way 'advertise', and plus it would make maintaining the demo much easier. [Requiring an extra dependency shouldn't be that bad of a problem - it already requires derelict and arclib is very small]
As I said before, I would be glad to do this.

Beginning D; Basic experience in PHP, C++, Java, C#, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, VB
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadimp wrote:
How should blaze be included in the arclib extensions, then?
Or should it be left as separate? I think that might reduce a bit o' confusion.

That would be Clay's call.

deadimp wrote:

Also, would you consider porting the blaze examples to use arclib? I think it would be a great way 'advertise', and plus it would make maintaining the demo much easier.... As I said before, I would be glad to do this.

If you would like to contribute a patch to the test bed I would be more than happy to add it. As it stands, there are still quite a few Box2D demos that need to be ported that I haven't got around to. It would be a great way for you to learn the library. If you take a look at the Box2D demo you can see that I need to add a GUI framework and debug/contact information. I've thought about using Hybrid for the gui, and it would be neat if you could use ArcLib for the visual effects....

Box2D:
http://www.box2d.org/

Hybrid:
http://hybrid.team0xf.com/

Also, you may want to eventually move this conversation to the Blaze forum...
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello deadimp,

Blaze is kept as an arclib 'extension' because I use a little hack so that blaze uses ArcLib's Point structure, which makes it a lot more compatible with the rest of ArcLib. I'll update the blaze version to the current blaze trunk when I can, and that should fix the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: