FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nomination of possible members of DSLG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
I've been abstaining from making comment over the last week because I have some concerns - the foremost of which is this: writing good libraries is not as straightforward as it may seem. There's typically a lot of subtlety and tradeoff involved, and handling that effectively requires some practice. If that were not the case, then one might imagine Walter would have got it right, and this forum would not exist. I mean, Walter is a smart guy.

Walter is a very smart guy who has been mostly focused on language design. Also, some of the stuff in Phobos was not written by Walter, but rather submitted by others. I'm certainly not disputing the complexities of library design, but I think it's worth noting that the current state of Phobos might not be representative of Walter's best attempt at a library.
Quote:
This PhobosRising thing is about building the foundation for a palace; the library is presumeably intended to be a crown jewel in the D arsenel. In terms of functionality, accessability, and setting a path for others to follow. This task needs smart people like yourselves, it needs good organization, and it needs some co-operation from Walter himself. But most of all, setting an overall design and/or direction needs true, solid, experience with the task at hand. If you guys have those skills, then great! It's just that I haven't noticed any discussion regarding said experience.

Agreed. And frankly, while I (and, I suspect, the rest of us) have a fair amount of experience writing libraries, there are things I enjoy doing more than team management. If this nomination is going to have me sending emails all day to keep people on task then I may decline as well.

But until D is standardized it will be up to Walter and the community to maintain and improve the language and any associated libraries. Walter has far too much on his plate to spend much time on library work right now (though I very much hope he participates in discussions with us if this project actually takes off), and he doesn't seem opposed to us trying to pick up the slack. So... since most of us are already making contributions to Phobos anyway, why not pool our efforts a bit? I would like to believe that the result can only improve on whatever we would have done alone.
Quote:

Another thing to consider is whether the DSLG should be an administrative body, a design group, or a bit of both. Currently, it seems headed toward "design group" mode. Naturally, you'd need different candidates for a different approach.

Good point. I think it may ultimately turn out to be a bit of both, but it's too small right now to be anything other than a design group. Still, I do think it would help to have some of both type of folks on the team no matter where things go.
Quote:
I do, very much, appreciate the nomination ~ but cannot accept. Instead, I'd like to cast my nomination for Lars, who seems quite keen on the organizational aspect.

I second that nomination, though I do wish you would reconsider your decision. You, Ben, myself, and Eric all have different design approaches, and I think those sorts of differences can only result in a better end product.

Last edited by sean on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
qbert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill second lars' nomination, I know he has done work with std.date and freinds, and has been an active voice since at or before I started reading the NG ( a year ago ) ... plus he has a cool name Wink.

I'd welcome japanese canidates ( also std.c.windows i think we can agree needs to be fleshed out , Y.Tomino has some really complete traslations at http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA028375/d/windows.h.html ) , but w/o a translator i don't see it happening.

I know theres a few japanese forums about D, ill post an english message refrencing this forum, or does anyone speak japanese ?

Charlie
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Ill second lars' nomination, I know he has done work with std.date and freinds, ...

Thanks, but I wasn't aware that I'd done work on that Wink

Except for some time concerns, I think I'll accept the nomination. As for myself, I believe I might be a youngster compared to the other nominees. I'm 26 and only completed my master (in software engineering at NTNU, Trondheim) only last year. Being mostly unemployed since then, my main experience lies in part time jobs during the studies. This include assistant positions at the university (where I among other things lectured in MATLAB. Funny you've been helping developing it, Ben.), parttime job at Systems in Motion (main product is the Coin library) and my master thesis for a young and emerging hardware design company. I've been following D since the start of 2003. I also have some organizational experience through fraternity work.

Lars Ivar Igesund
(Note that I actually use both my first names, I often get confused when people only call me Lars.)
veelo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:

I agree with the nominations half-way, but I think we should look for diversified skills in the group, meaning that experience in other stuff than coding is of relevance, especially project management, inspirational skills, skill in seeing what's good in other's code, etc.

Also, I feel that the nominations are currently very anglo-centric. Is the japanase D scene interested in this? What about all the non-english europeans? The south-americans?

I'd like to nominate Norbert Nemec in this respect. From what I have read of his posts, he seems to be well informed, with a scope both broad and deep. I don't know whether he is interested though.

Bastiaan.
kris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reflection, I'd like to accept that nomination if it's still standing. If I can do something to help get this project off the ground and be successful, then I'll be happy to do so.

Over the last twenty-one years I've been assigned the role of team-lead, architect, designer, for most of the projects I've been involved in; due in part to a desire for progress over politics, and a high level of self-motivation.

I've designed (and either built or helped build) RAD design-tools, graphics engines, Operating Systems, application-frameworks, factory-automation and remote-control systems, immersive interactive environments, high-performance clustering and failover substrata, Portal platforms, Interactive-Clothing systems, networking layers, proprietary interpreters & debuggers, and some Palm-based applications.

Much of what I do starts out with a core library (or set thereof), and I try to approach library design with a view toward consistency and simplicity of use.
qbert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

So we have

Arrow pragma: yes
Arrow sean: yes
Arrow kris: yes
Arrow lars: yes
Arrow ben: no

Four sounds like a full group, are we ready to move forward ? If so, maybe yall can come up with an official style guide, and we can start looking over phobos see what needs redone.

Lets do this thing Cool

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ares All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: