FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Status

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Project Status Reply with quote

I've decided that I have too many time commitments to be actively involved in maintaining and developing Blaze. With graduate school, my full time job, and family obligations I don't have much room left in my life for hobby programming.

I may come back to D after I finish graduate school in another year and a half or so. Hopefully the D community will have it's act together and solve the Phobos / Tango issue, and produce with a viable set of development tools, etc, etc...

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in stepping up and taking over the project please let me know. Blaze itself is library independent, although the demos have Tango and Derelict dependencies.

Last edited by zzzzrrr on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Status Reply with quote

zzzzrrr wrote:
I've decided that I have too many time commitments to be actively involved in maintaining and developing Blaze. With graduate school, my full time job, and family obligations I don't have much room left in my life for hobby programming.

I may come back to D after I finish graduate school in another year and a half or so. Hopefully the D community will have it's act together and solve the Phobos / Tango issue, and produce with a viable set of development tools, etc, etc...

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in stepping up and taking over the project please let me know. Blaze itself is library independent, although the demos have Tango and Derelict dependencies.

I'd be willing to take over so long as I'm only expected to maintain it. (Occasional patches and lots of documentation) I don't think I'll have the time for adding new features.
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Status Reply with quote

SirAlaran wrote:
I'd be willing to take over so long as I'm only expected to maintain it. (Occasional patches and lots of documentation) I don't think I'll have the time for adding new features.

Great, I've added you as a developer. I can be available for occasional questions via. email or chat if you need help. You can also find me on Facebook, of all places...
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Status Reply with quote

zzzzrrr wrote:
SirAlaran wrote:

Great, I've added you as a developer. I can be available for occasional questions via. email or chat if you need help. You can also find me on Facebook, of all places...

I probably won't be doing any work on Blaze until I get at least version 0.2 of my game's map editor done. (It'll be about a week)
brianguertin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Status Reply with quote

SirAlaran wrote:
zzzzrrr wrote:
SirAlaran wrote:

I probably won't be doing any work on Blaze until I get at least version 0.2 of my game's map editor done. (It'll be about a week)

That map editor looks nice, though i couldnt get that 0.1 version to run (no errors in console either). And i guess you never got time to finish 0.2.

Anyway I really hope blaze stays active, I'm interested in using it for a few things but I'm hitting a couple odd glitches.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care, hope to maybe see you come back to blaze.
It works excellently, for the time being.
~ Clay
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is not dead / abandoned. I'm working on adding documentation to the code. The end goal of this is to have something like Tango's API reference. After that I'll get some sort of tutorial written. Progress will be a bit slow due to my school and work load though.
JNewt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Will Blaze build with dmd 1 and phobos?
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JNewt wrote:
Great. Will Blaze build with dmd 1 and phobos?

It should work with both Phobos and Tango with D1. The next release I make will be identical to the current SVN, except that the documentation will be complete and far more accurate.

I am however making notes of various bits of Blaze that are broken or should be tweaked. (redundant functions in the vector struct, functions that don't return valid results, function calls/bodies that are commented out, etc) There are still some things I don't understand about how parts of Blaze work, so I'll need to ask a few questions of the original author so that I don't break stuff.
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the documentation is being made. Almost all of the modules that normal users would be interacting with have nice CandyDoc-generated pages now. Right now I'm going through some of the internals. I've been making notes of things that may be refactored later and bugs that need fixing as I go.
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirAlaran wrote:
Progress on the documentation is being made. Almost all of the modules that normal users would be interacting with have nice CandyDoc-generated pages now. Right now I'm going through some of the internals. I've been making notes of things that may be refactored later and bugs that need fixing as I go.

Sweet, good to see that you're keeping the project alive! If you have questions I'll be willing to help to the best of my memory.

Keep in mind that the trunk was updated to the Box2D code as of my last commit to the SVN, and that I never got around to making another "official" release of Blaze. In fact, no one should be using the 1.0 release considering how old and out of date the code is. The Blaze DEMO is compiled directly from the trunk.

I was also in the process of incorporating many of the ideas from the great physics engine from Polygonal labs, Motor2: http://lab.polygonal.de/ I would recommend checking it out! Michael (Motor2's author) has an outstanding blog and is always coming up with fresh ideas to fine tune his engine.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we made the engine library (Tango / Phobos) independent. Blaze uses her own data structures and math functions.

Cheers,
Mason
mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your saying that we shouldn't be using blaze 1.0 and that we should be using motor2Blaze?

If so is it going to be easy to convert over? I kind of made a whole game using blaze 1.0 and i want to make sure whether i have to switch or not.
zzzzrrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike wrote:
So your saying that we shouldn't be using blaze 1.0 and that we should be using motor2Blaze?

No, I'm saying that you "should" be using the trunk source code:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/blaze/browser/trunk

Looks like you're using the old 'branches' code.

Quote:

If so is it going to be easy to convert over? I kind of made a whole game using blaze 1.0 and i want to make sure whether i have to switch or not.

Well, the beauty of open source is that you can use the code however you want. If you're happy with Blaze 1.0 then stay with it. However, the trunk engine has many more features and is fairly recently (as of last fall) updated to Box2D.
mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess i'll use the trunk version for now on. Smile

Thanks for the clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blaze All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: