FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice wanted on combining scenegraph and physics.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Advice wanted on combining scenegraph and physics. Reply with quote

I'm trying to write a game from scratch with Arclib, and it's already been a great help. A single line to open an OpenGL window, with the context set up and everything? Amazing.

Graphics loaders that work and process animations, all of the organizational things, these are all wonderful. I have, I think, worked out how to use the basics.

What I need and humbly request help on, is integrating the scenegraph with the blaze physics engine. The asteroids example for arc2 does it and makes it look easy, but it's out of date and the physics library extension seems to use different classes now.

Can anyone tell me where to start, or if you feel really generous, write me some sort of tutorial please?

Any information or hints will be greatly appreciated, as I'm a little out of practice and so I'm making the new coder mistakes all over again, so figuring it out on my own is taking a while.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Darloth,

Thank you for giving ArcLib a spin.

As for getting the scenegraph and the physics engine working together properly, that is some experimental ground there. I'd recommend that you just use the physics engine by itself for now.

Later on in the future I may get some time to figure out a good way to get the two systems working together properly, again.

~ Clay
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darloth,

I may try convincing the physics folks to integrate a scenegraph directly into the physics system. There already is a very basic system to do something similar to a scenegraph in Blaze.

~ Clay
SirAlaran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
Darloth,

I may try convincing the physics folks to integrate a scenegraph directly into the physics system. There already is a very basic system to do something similar to a scenegraph in Blaze.

~ Clay

I'm open to suggestions for the next release. (I'm even more open to code)
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SirAlan,

Perhaps you can convince Erin Catto to add a scenegraph to Box2D, I don't know if you would have time to add a basic scenegraph to it yourself.

It can be on a list of possible future todos...
I think it would be appropriate to have a scenegraph built in with the physics, with the different Nodes and having childs inside of childs, allowing for rotation and translation of Nodes.

~ Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ArcLib All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: