FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Beginner QuestionS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fileburner

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: A Beginner QuestionS Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner in D programming language and also in compiled languages, I used to program in java and .net and I have some questions that I need answers for if you please.

1- I downloaded tango+tangobos 0.99.7+dmd 1.033 and dwt 3.4.1, do I need to compile (or do something to) these libaries so I can use them ?

2- however I started some simple console/gui programs, the console ones compile and run perfect, but when I tried a gui program using DWT it compiles fine but I can't launch the .exe file by double click but I can launch it from console Question have I missed something here ? is there a different process to follow in order to compile a GUI application ?

3- what is a .lib file what is used for ? do I need .lib file to compile or only libraries's source files ?

4- when I compile, the compilator take a long time (about 30s on C2D 3.2Ghz) and generates about 270 .obj file, do have to wait everytime I compile that long ? is there anyway to avoid this long compile time ?moreover it generate a .exe file of 1.8Mb of size however the source file is only 109 line. is this normal !!??

Please answer at anyone you can.

Thank you in advance.
csauls

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Check the Digital Mars and Tango sites, where there are some instructions. Tango has a build step, but you shouldn't have to do any of that by hand. You will modify DMD's configuration just slightly, though.

http://digitalmars.com/d/1.0/dmd-windows.html
http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/TopicInstallTango
http://dsource.org/projects/dwt/wiki/Installation

You'll probably want to look at DSSS:
http://dsource.org/projects/dsss

2. Technically there's no difference, or at least not anything that should cause what you're describing... There's a flag for compiling specifically for GUI, but all it really does is prevent a console coming up. Honestly, I've forgotten what it is since I rarely use it. ^_^

3. A .lib file is a static linking library... which is basically just a bunch of pre-compiled object files lumped together to make compiling and linking faster. You don't really need it if you have the sources, but it is good to have them for the speedup. Sometimes.

4. You consider 30 seconds a long time?? I remember compiles that took overnight... Seriously, that isn't all that long really. But, it may be that its compiling all the library code you're using as well, which is where those .lib files are nice.

As for the size, yes that's a little big, but its from the library code that's getting pulled in, which is more-or-less a constant cost. All additional filesize growth will be only from your own program. Plus, I have a few programs laying around here which are a hundred times that size, or bigger. Wink And those aren't even written in D. Its really pretty normal.
Fileburner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much, your answers made clair many things in my head ^^ really appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: