FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions before moving on to gtkD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samsam698

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Some questions before moving on to gtkD Reply with quote

Hi Sirs,

I start learnin D since y04 and am very glad to see how fast it grows up.I love this laguage first and for most because of the lagugae style (for example,the improvement of int[] array i/0 int array[],etc), one word,I felt it more nature than the other laguage in C family.Another thing which I love best is the promise that the performance can compete C/C++.For GUI libaray,I have used DFL,DWT both of them are easy to learn,but both of them I have pity on:DFL is windows specific and DWT,event implements by Listener,every time an event occurs need NEW a Listener,such a NEW will cost how much?I doubt.

So today I am happily installed the lasted release of gtkD and it seems everything is smoothly fine.Running the examples is also fine.But still,I have several questions on gtkD compare to DFL or DWT:
1.I heard that gtk run time lib cost a lot,is this true?
2. What 's the advantage and disadvange vs the other 2 GUI lib?
3.What's the event loop mechanism and what is the performance compare to callback function (windows C like) ,signal & slot(Qt like) and Listener(SWT/DWT like)?
4.I found there are lots of stuff in the include path,forgive me,I am a completely newbie in gtk,so I was wondering what all those stuff are ,say,atk,cairo,gdk,glade,glib,gobject,pango,and so on?
5.If I decide to learn gtkD,where should I start and what should I learn totally?

Thanks and best regards,
Sam
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying out GtkD.

Quote:

On windows your application could be the only one using Gtk so the libraries are loaded for your application only, then it might be a lot of memory being used. On linux you'll have a good chance there are more application using the gtk libraries, like the gnome desktop i'm typing this on, then the gtk libs are already in memory.
Quote:
2. What 's the advantage and disadvange vs the other 2 GUI lib?

The only other Gui lib i have used is wxD, so i won't be able to commend on DWT and DFL. i think every Gui lib has it's advantages / disadvantages.
Quote:
3.What's the event loop mechanism and what is the performance compare to callback function (windows C like) ,signal & slot(Qt like) and Listener(SWT/DWT like)?

When you add a Event to a widget trough one of the addOn* functions the delegate passed will be added to an array, witch is looped trough in the "C like" Callback passed to Gtk.
Quote:
4.I found there are lots of stuff in the include path,forgive me,I am a completely newbie in gtk,so I was wondering what all those stuff are ,say,atk,cairo,gdk,glade,glib,gobject,pango,and so on?

atk provides the accessibility functions for Gtk.
Pango handles the font rendering.
Gdk wraps Xlib and handles the drawing for Gtk.
cairo is the drawing backend used by Gtk/Gdk.
GObject, Most of the libraries use this it allows for some strage object oriented programing in C.
glib provides low level functionality for Gtk linked lists, memory handling, a type system and more.
Glade is for using the XML files created by the Glade interface designer.
I hope i got this is all correct Wink there documentation should give a definite answer.
And in svn there is also gio withs provides access to the Virtual filesystem.
Quote:
5.If I decide to learn gtkD,where should I start and what should I learn totally?

There is no D Tutorial available, so looking at the source of the examples and the documentation might be a good start.
samsam698

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Wey"]Thanks for trying out GtkD.

Quote:

On windows your application could be the only one using Gtk so the libraries are loaded for your application only, then it might be a lot of memory being used. On linux you'll have a good chance there are more application using the gtk libraries, like the gnome desktop i'm typing this on, then the gtk libs are already in memory.

If I wanna change to such a system as you mentioned which support gtk+ natively,which one do you recommand since I have know a little about linux,only a couple of months experience on Fedora Core.Is it also support Chinese laguange?

Thank you .

Sam
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Archlinux ( http://archlinux.org ) Bt it isn't something i whould reccommend to someone with little knowledge of linux. after installing it from the cd you only have a command line, and you have to install and configure the ret of the system from there.

Ubuntu, Suse and Fedora seem like the ovious choices, mostly it's the same applications in a different package Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: