FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you Animate a GIF in a PictureBox?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: How do you Animate a GIF in a PictureBox? Reply with quote

I have an animated GIF I would like to display on a form and attempted to do so using a PictureBox. The image displays but is not animated. What is the proper way to do this? A pointer to the documentation or a short example will suffice.

Thank you,
Andrew
tyro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched far and wide and the closest thing I can find that seems to be able to get the job done is the System.Drawing.ImageAnimator class defined in the .NET framework.

It is a class that inherits form System.Object and has the following C++ interface according to the .NET Framework Development Center.

public ref class ImageAnimator sealed
{
public: static void Animate(Image^ image, EventHandler^ onFrameChangedHandler);
public: static bool CanAnimate(Image^ image);
public: static void StopAnimate(Image^ image, EventHandler^ onFrameChangedHandler);
public: static void UpdateFrames();
public: static void UpdateFrames();
}

I'm not at all savy on porting this interface to D and am wondering if someone can help me accomplish this.

Thanks,
Andrew
tyro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowing from the examples on MSDN here is my attempt at this:

extern(Windows)
{
class ImageAnimator: dfl.form.Form
{
void Animate(Image image, EventHandler onFrameChangedHandler);
bool CanAnimate(Image image);
void StopAnimate(Image image, EventHandler onFrameChangedHandler);
void UpdateFrames();
void UpdateFrames(Image image);

void Invalidate();
}
}

class MyForm: ImageAnimator
{
void onFrameChanged(Object o, EventArgs ea)
{
//Force a call to the Paint event handler.
Invalidate();
}

override void onPaint(PaintEventArgs ea)
{
UpdateFrames();
}

this()
{
picAnimated.image = new Picture(`image\43_ani.gif`);
Animate(picAnimated.image, EventHandler(this, &onFrameChanged));
}
}

I keep getting the following error messages and am not sure how to resolve them. I am sure I did a number of things incorrectly so any assistance would be really appreciated:

D:\code>dfl -gui -version=DFL_DMD2020 -ofhayato.exe -release myform2
Error checking versions; use switch -ver for details
Compiling in release mode; safety checks removed
C:\Users\Andrew\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe -version=DFL_DMD2020 -ofhayato.exe -rel
ease myform2 -version=DFL_EXE -IC:\Users\Andrew\dmd2\windows\import -L/exet:nt/s
u:windows:4.0 C:\Users\Andrew\dmd2\windows\lib\dfl.lib
myform2.d(249): Error: function dfl.event.Event!(Object,EventArgs).Event.opCall
(Object v1, EventArgs v2) is not callable using argument types (MyForm,void dele
gate(Object, EventArgs))
myform2.d(249): Error: this for opCall needs to be type Event not type myform2.M
yForm
myform2.d(249): Error: class myform2.MyForm member opCall is not accessible
myform2.d(249): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (&this.onFrameChange
d) of type void delegate(Object, EventArgs) to dfl.event.EventArgs
myform2.d(249): Error: function myform2.ImageAnimator.Animate (Image image, Even
t!(Object,EventArgs) onFrameChangedHandler) is not callable using argument types
(Image,void)
myform2.d(249): Error: function myform2.ImageAnimator.Animate (Image image, Even
t!(Object,EventArgs) onFrameChangedHandler) is not callable using argument types
(Image,void)
myform2.d(249): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (this.opCall(cast(Ob
ject)this,cast(EventArgs)(&this.onFrameChanged))) of type void to Event!(Object,
EventArgs)

Returned status code 1
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a DFL installation or version issue, type dfl -ver and see what it says.
tyro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting enough dfl -ver produces an error:

D:\code>dfl -ver
Using Phobos library
std.file.FileException: C:\Users\Andrew\dmd2\windows\packages\dfl\readme.txt: Th
e system cannot find the file specified.

I haven't had a packages folder for the longest time. Only thing I have on the system is the dfl folder which I placed in src.phobos and windows.import which contains a symbolic link to src.phobos to reduce duplication. I had been using version 0.9.8 with simple changes I've been making to keep current with DMD v2.*. I compiled and dflexe back when I first installed 0.9.8 (November last year) and haven't touched it since. I had to stop using the "dfl" I was maintaining when I started using DMD v2.32 and ran into the errors referred to in "Error: mixin is not defined (dmd v2.032)".

The version of the library I'm currently using was downloaded from a link in this post http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=96000. Thanks to Robert Jacques, this corrected the aforementioned errors and seems to work correctly producing no errors until I began attempting to incorporate the ImageAnimator Class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: