FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory leak in TextView ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Memory leak in TextView ? Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm using dmd2 and GtkD1.2.
I have a question about TextView and TextBuffer. In "demos" folder of Gtkd, I found a project demo named TestWindow. It's realy good to understand how to create DUI program. But in tab "gtk-demo" of the main application, there is a textView button. When I click the button, a new window open with the text and the memory increase a little. If I close this popup window, the memory doesn't free and stay in heap. If I open the window with textview many times, the memory is never free.

I wrote a test program and I got the same problem.
Is there a solution for this ?

Thanks.
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the same behavior with the dome, i don't have a solution though.
GG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-question-index.html.
In section 1.5, it explain why we can get memory leak with object.
I tried apply "doref" and "unref" as they said, but memory is never free.

I tried another test, if I read a file of 2mb with "std.file.read" and put it in a textView, memory increase of 2mb. Then after closing textView popup, if I read another file of 2mb, memory stay the same. But if I read after that a file of 5mb, memory increase.

Maybe "doref", "unref", "sink", "destroy" ... can help, but it doesn't work for me or I don't understand how to apply unref on widget.

Thanks.
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try running the GC after you destroy the GTK object.
GG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm no result with GC.collect(),
I tried all solutions possible to put unref, doref, sink, destroy but no result, I continue to seek.

Just to be sure, std.file.read will close the handler on the file itself ? I fear that the file read is never close and free. Maybe...

Anyway, the sample TestWindow in "demos" folder of GtkD has a problem with memory and not use any std.file.read, so the problem is somewhere else in textBuffer or textView.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: