FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cv2pdb: how to use to convert other debug formats to pdb?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amussche

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: cv2pdb: how to use to convert other debug formats to pdb? Reply with quote

I got the code of a tool called "map2dbg": this converts a Delphi .map debug file into a .dbg file:
http://code.google.com/p/map2dbg/
This works ok, but I got complaints of users with Visual Studio 2008: VS2008 only uses .pdb and ignores .dbg files!

I got a tip of someone about the "cv2pdb" project. I am a Delphi programmer, so I have some trouble reading C++ code, but how easy would it be to make a "map2pdb" program? What I mean: which procedure of the code must I use (and change) to be able to write a .pdb file? I would like something like a "AddSymbol" function, which I can call with my debug info (instead of CV info).
sagitario

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry for not answering earlier, but there is no email notification for new topics in this forum...

cv2pdb uses a microsoft library (mspdb80.dll) to communicate with the pdb-server-process that actually creates the pdb-file. The interface is not documented and it has been a lot of try and error to figure out how to use it.

Most of the debug information accepted by this DLL is in codeview format, so you'll need to convert your own debug info into this format (I don't know anything about the map-file-format and how similar it is).

If you want to try modifying cv2pdb, here are some starting points:
- modify the debug info detection in PEImage::initPtr (or maybe just skip it)
- skip anything in main() after "cv2pdb.openPDB" and before "cv2pdb.writeImage" and replace it with adding debug info to the pdb-file ( for example try cv2pdb.dbi->AddPublic2() )

Best,
Rainer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> cv2pdb All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: