FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future directions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trass3r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Future directions? Reply with quote

Any plans for the next releases? Smile
sagitario

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing spectacular in the queue. You can find a few changes in the subversion repository, but nothing that made me publish a new version yet.
Trass3r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I recently discovered that the autoexp snippet might to influence normal C++ debugging.
I debugged dmd and it showed a StorageClass which is some int64 or something like that IIRC as a dynamic int[] array.

Is this caused by your additions? Is it fixable?
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autoexp snippets do not modify the displayed type, only the value.

But I can explain it if this is for DMC generated code: the bug regarding bad codeview information for long and ulong had exactly this effect. It was in the DMD-backend, which is said to be the same as for DMC. So it is no surprise that the bad debug information also shows up for C++.
Trass3r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah true. Well there's no way to fix that in dmc I guess.
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is a chance for cv2pdb to fix the debug info, as the passed type is a D extension, which must be invalid if -C has been passed on the command line. IIRC there was no different info for int64 and uint64, though.

Should be easy to add, so I've placed it on my todo list...
Trass3r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A D extension in the dmc backend?

However, I thought about trying to compile with MinGW(in general, it should produce faster and safer code, shouldn't it?) but of course it isn't suitable for debugging purposes since the debug information produced by it can't be read by VS either Sad

btw: I found a book which covers the structure of .pdb files, just FYI: http://undocumented.rawol.com/ (at the end of the first chapter)
sagitario

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I thought about trying to compile with MinGW(in general, it should produce faster and safer code, shouldn't it?) but of course it isn't suitable for debugging purposes since the debug information produced by it can't be read by VS either

With a few modifications to the dmd source, you can also build it with the microsoft compiler. But I don't know if the resulting dmd works exactly the same...

Quote:
btw: I found a book which covers the structure of .pdb files, just FYI: http://undocumented.rawol.com/ (at the end of the first chapter)

I think I have also seen this book before. Unfortunately it is a bit outdated. The debug indormation is distributed into different streams in the pdb and does not always look like oldstyle codeview information.

The wine project contains a dump utility that I have used to verify conversions by cv2pdb. But it also does not understand all the contents.
sagitario

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Ah true. Well there's no way to fix that in dmc I guess.
Should be easy to add, so I've placed it on my todo list...

The new release 0.14 should fix the DMC types.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> cv2pdb All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: