FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cv2pdb generates an error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hirofield

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: cv2pdb generates an error Reply with quote

Hello,

At first, thank you for the absorbing program.

I am now checking the compatibility between cv2pdb and Digital Mars C++ compiler (8.5.0). I wrote the folowing simple "Hello world!" prgram.

Code:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
    cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
    return 0;
}

I compiled the source code by dmc.exe with -g option, then linked by link.exe (DM's optlink) with /CODEVIEW and /DEBUG option to create
DMCHello.exe.

After that, I placed cv2pdb, mspdb80.dll, and dviewhelper.dll in the same
directory as DMCHello.exe, then typed,

cv2pdb DMCHello.exe

But unfortunately, cv2pdb generated an error:

cannnot create PDB file

I hope it helps.

Regards,

hirofield
sagitario

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for trying and sorry for the delay, but the mail-notification of the forum doesn't seem to work for new topics...

Quote:

But unfortunately, cv2pdb generated an error:

cannnot create PDB file

This error occurs, when the callback into mspdb80.dll to create the pdb-file fails.
This might happen if the visual studio installation is not complete. The dll itself is only a wrapper to call into the ms-pdb-server which is automatically started if not already running. Maybe you have just copied the mspdb80.dll fram another system and other vital parts are missing?

BTW: when debugging dmc generated executables, you should run cv2pdb with option -C to remove the scope from the names of local variables.

Regards,
Rainer
hirofield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
This error occurs, when the callback into mspdb80.dll to create the pdb-file fails.
This might happen if the visual studio installation is not complete. The dll itself is only a wrapper to call into the ms-pdb-server which is automatically started if not already running. Maybe you have just copied the mspdb80.dll fram another system and other vital parts are missing?

You are exactly right. I removed MS SDK's path from the PATH environment variables in other times. So this time I copied only mspdb80.dll from the MS SDK folder, since changing of environment variables is annoying fo me.

I modified the PATH environment variable, then tried again, and pdb file was created correctly.

Quote:

BTW: when debugging dmc generated executables, you should run cv2pdb with option -C to remove the scope from the names of local variables.

Thank you for the advice. I did as you stated, then it seems to work fine now.

Regards,

hirofield
ABothe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I start this pdb host on my own? What files are needed to provide this functionality? I want to be independent from a VStudio installation...

Thanks in advance!

BTW: Your Visual D add-in is great! Any plans for including a full dynamic completion engine into it - something like Dintellisense?
sagitario

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABothe wrote:
How can I start this pdb host on my own? What files are needed to provide this functionality? I want to be independent from a VStudio installation...

I have recently updated the prerequisites paragraph on the installation page. You 'll find the needed files there.

ABothe wrote:
BTW: Your Visual D add-in is great! Any plans for including a full dynamic completion engine into it - something like Dintellisense?

As nice as intellisense by VS itself or Visual Assist are, they come with bad performance issues that I want to avoid. I guess this has to be taken step by step (using compiler generated symbol info might be considered the first step), but I'm not sure how to continue on this...
ABothe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Very Happy

Perhaps there is the possibility to extract the syntax-analysis part from the D compiler to run it everytime the code has changed - so that this JSON file gets generated - and you could use it. ---Just an idea Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> cv2pdb All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: