FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compiling with DMD2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelcnz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Compiling with DMD2 Reply with quote

The new D programming book is being shipped. It's for D2. So I would like to know how to use it with allegro.

Using dmd 2.039

With this code:

Code:

import allegro.allegro;

void main() {
  allegro_init();
}

I get:

Quote:

C:\Jpro\dpro2\small>dmd alleg.d alleg.lib -d
OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 8.00.2
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2009 All rights reserved.
http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
alleg.obj(alleg)
Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D7allegro7allegro12__ModuleInfoZ
alleg.obj(alleg)
Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D7allegro6system12allegro_initFZi
--- errorlevel 2

Any help would be great. Smile

DAllegro is tidy. Just uses one DLL (on Windows). I think I've just used it for a long time. I haven't gotten very far with other media libraries.
Code:

I think it's a library thing I'm having trouble with. I've gotten the same problem with a one file source code library.
michaelp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you compile, I think you want:
Code:
dmd alleg.d -Lalleg.lib -d

So that alleg.lib is passed to the linker.
joelcnz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

A little different, this has added:
Quote:
OPTLINK : Warning 9: Unknown Option : NOIALLEG.LIB

So, still no success. :-\
michaelp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That says warning; does that mean it still compiled?
Not sure about this, but how about:
Code:
dmd alleg.d -L-lalleg -d

I don't know if that changes anything.
joelcnz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this, with that:

Quote:
OPTLINK : Warning 9: Unknown Option : LALLEG

I guess there must be away to do it.

I wonder what libraries do work with D2, (D and DMD confuse me, D = language and DMD compiler).

This is what I get with a different build tool (http://bitbucket.org/h3r3tic/xfbuild):

Quote:
C:\Jpro\dpro2\small>xfbuild allegtest.d -I\jpro\dmd2\src\ alleg.lib -d +orun
Thread 0: compiling 31 modules
Thread 1: compiling 32 modules
Thread 1: compiling 56 modules
Thread 0: compiling 56 modules
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\inline\fmaths_inl.d(25): Error: undefined identifier ERAN
GE
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\inline\fmaths_inl.d(30): Error: undefined identifier ERAN
GE
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\inline\fmaths_inl.d(57): Error: undefined identifier ERAN
GE
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\inline\fmaths_inl.d(61): Error: undefined identifier ERAN
GE
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(44): Error: function allegro.base.AL_ID
(char a, char b, char c, char d) is not callable using argument types (char,char
,int,char)
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(44): Error: cannot implicitly convert ex
pression (65 + n) of type int to char
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(45): Error: function allegro.base.AL_ID
(char a, char b, char c, char d) is not callable using argument types (char,char
,int,char)
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(45): Error: cannot implicitly convert ex
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(46): Error: function allegro.base.AL_ID
,int,char)
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(46): Error: cannot implicitly convert ex
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(4Cool: Error: function allegro.base.AL_ID
,char,int)
\jpro\dmd2\src\allegro\platform\alwin.d(4Cool: Error: cannot implicitly convert ex
Build failed: "dmd @xfbuild.1ce0e00.rsp" returned 1

Some guys think it's cool Wink
torhu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded a snapshot that's got better support for the latest DMD 2.x versions. Still need to compile with -d, and allegro_errno is broken.

Let me know how it works out for you, I haven't tested it much. Smile

(The reason you get those linker errors when building with dmd, is that dmd does not compile other files then the ones passed on the command line. So you have to either hand all dallegro files you need to dmd, or use make-lib.bat to create dalleg.lib which you then hand to dmd, which passes it on to the linker. xfbuild automates this by passing all needed dallegro, and other, files to dmd.)
joelcnz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply torhu and maintenance.

Glad to see the project is still going. Smile

I'll get back to you if I have trouble, etc.

Had some errors that had me stumped, but found 'writefln()' was not allowed any more. Also I have to be-tend to edit a curtain file to avoid undefined symbols compile time errors. Actually, '-clean' with 'bud' compiler tool seems to fix that

A thing though. How do you convert a 'int' to a 'char' variable? Like 'char c = readkey();' (readkey returns an 'int').
torhu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, use writeln() instead when you don't need to use format codes.

I tend to just build with -full to avoid those linker errors. You can prebuild dallegro with make-lib.bat and link with the resulting lib file to speed up the building if full builds are too slow. Remember to use -Xallegro then, so bud won't just build allegro anyway. Also might be an idea to use -Xcore for phobos 2.

To get just the ascii code you could do this:
char c = readkey() & 0xff;
But usually the scancode is easier to work with, see the docs for how to do that.
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/latestdocs/en/alleg006.html#readkey
joelcnz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply torhu.

I tried the -Xallegro and -Xcore, but got compile errors sighting in the phobos library.

I would normally put 'writefln();' (or 'writeln();') but that doesn't work with D2, but just small alteration - 'writeln("");'.

I've got a program that has a list of strings that I match up with text from the user. Your trick worked, thanks, (actually 'char c = cast(char)readkey;' works too). An odd thing though, I made my own way to make my single chars lower case, because 'std.string' 'tolower' doesn't seem to work for 'char' types, don't know why they wouldn't have that.

Do you help out at 'allegro.cc' as well?
torhu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelcnz wrote:

I tried the -Xallegro and -Xcore, but got compile errors sighting in the phobos library.

Yeah, there's something going on with the phobos build.

joelcnz wrote:

I've got a program that has a list of strings that I match up with text from the user. Your trick worked, thanks, (actually 'char c = cast(char)readkey;' works too).

The cast works, but it's a bit uglier and less explicit than the bitmask.
joelcnz wrote:

An odd thing though, I made my own way to make my single chars lower case, because 'std.string' 'tolower' doesn't seem to work for 'char' types, don't know why they wouldn't have that.

There's a tolower in std.ctype that works with ascii chars. And a unicode one in std.uni, but then you should probably use allegro's ureadkey and all that... Too much trouble, probably. Wink

joelcnz wrote:
Do you help out at 'allegro.cc' as well?

Sure, I read that forum daily.
torhu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, you might want to use SVN to check out the latest dallegro revision, to get today's bugfixes. At least once your program starts crashing or behaving weirdly. Laughing
joelcnz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten 'std.ctype' 'tolower' working, just added '& 0xFF', (note: I've started using '& 0xFF' now. Smile

For the SVN, just get the tortus(sp)SVN that has options added to the right click windows menu?

How do you handle memory that 'BITMAP*' and 'SAMPLE*' variables point to? Like I haven't been using 'allegro_exit();' And it seems to build up if you don't destroy it.
torhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use tortoisesvn, sure. But if you're building on the command line anyway, I'd just go with the command line client. In fact, the only reason I have tortoisesvn installed nowadays are the nice green and red folder icons. I don't actually use it the thing. Cool

joelcnz wrote:
How do you handle memory that 'BITMAP*' and 'SAMPLE*' variables point to? Like I haven't been using 'allegro_exit();' And it seems to build up if you don't destroy it.
allegro_exit is called automatically, it's an atexit function. As for the others, you should really start reading the manual, and some of allegro's many examples Rolling Eyes

Btw, you can actually reply to yourself in this forum, it's not run by Matthew Leverton Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> dallegro All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: