FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rename Bug + Random Crashes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awishformore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Rename Bug + Random Crashes Reply with quote

Hello there.

I was so glad that i found Visual D, but unfortunately, there is some stuff that is really bothering me. I came to Visual Studio from Eclipse and Code::Blocks recently so I could use it for the Ogre3D engine. I was really glad that I could also use it for D to keep the same development environment for both C++ and D.

However, when I try to rename a file in a D project, I get a "The operation could not be completed" error. This wouldn't be too bad in itself, but unfortunately, the application than gets stuck in renaming the file, because after each error, it's back to giving a new name to the file. I thus have to completely exit Visual Studio and start it anew.

This problem has persisted through VS 2010 and 2008. The reason why I switched from 2010 to 2008 is that I keep having random crashes in 2010 - however, I can't really attribute this to Visual D with certainty, as I hadn't used it for any C++ work and just switched back right away. Anyways, what happens is the application freezes (as if it were busy) and just won't respond to anything. You have to close the process and start it again.

Last but not least, when I create a folder in Visual D, there isn't actually a folder created on my hard disk. At least for C++, it's labeled "filter", but in Visual D it's called folder, so if I create one, I expect the files to actually go into a new folder on my hard disk. This is very irritating when it comes to organizing big projects - once I'm out of the IDE, all files are in one big folder.

I hope I could provide some valuable feedback, and pleaaaaaaaaase, keep up the good work! Wink

Take care, Max.
sagitario

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rename Bug + Random Crashes Reply with quote

Hi,

awishformore wrote:
However, when I try to rename a file in a D project, I get a "The operation could not be completed" error. This wouldn't be too bad in itself, but unfortunately, the application than gets stuck in renaming the file, because after each error, it's back to giving a new name to the file. I thus have to completely exit Visual Studio and start it anew.

I see the same message, you should not be allowed to rename the file in the first place. Pressing escape worked for me to abort it, though.

awishformore wrote:
This problem has persisted through VS 2010 and 2008. The reason why I switched from 2010 to 2008 is that I keep having random crashes in 2010 - however, I can't really attribute this to Visual D with certainty, as I hadn't used it for any C++ work and just switched back right away. Anyways, what happens is the application freezes (as if it were busy) and just won't respond to anything. You have to close the process and start it again.

I have recently fixed some issues with string passing to Visual Studio that helped in another case of crashes in VS2010. You might want to try the preliminary version 0.3.12 from the download directory, maybe it helps.

awishformore wrote:
Last but not least, when I create a folder in Visual D, there isn't actually a folder created on my hard disk. At least for C++, it's labeled "filter", but in Visual D it's called folder, so if I create one, I expect the files to actually go into a new folder on my hard disk. This is very irritating when it comes to organizing big projects - once I'm out of the IDE, all files are in one big folder.

The new version has a new item in the "Add item" dialog named "Package" to a project, that creates both a folder on disk and in the project. New files added to the folder default to be placed in the respective directory.
awishformore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rename Bug + Random Crashes Reply with quote

sagitario wrote:
Hi,
I see the same message, you should not be allowed to rename the file in the first place. Pressing escape worked for me to abort it, though.

So how can you rename a class and have the file renamed appropriately, too? In Eclipse, I was always able to refactor the class and the IDE would take care of both.

Quote:
I have recently fixed some issues with string passing to Visual Studio that helped in another case of crashes in VS2010. You might want to try the preliminary version 0.3.12 from the download directory, maybe it helps.

Well, I'm not sure if I want to change the whole dev env again to test this. I guess I'll stick with 2008 for the time being. I'll let you know in case I undertake another attempt, though.

Quote:
The new version has a new item in the "Add item" dialog named "Package" to a project, that creates both a folder on disk and in the project. New files added to the folder default to be placed in the respective directory.

Why can't files you drag&drop into the package be moved into the folder, too?
sagitario

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rename Bug + Random Crashes Reply with quote

awishformore wrote:
sagitario wrote:
Hi,

So how can you rename a class and have the file renamed appropriately, too? In Eclipse, I was always able to refactor the class and the IDE would take care of both.

Thinking about it again, you are right. Renaming the file is what you are asking for if you start editing the name, and it should be no big deal to implement,

Quote:
Why can't files you drag&drop into the package be moved into the folder, too?

I'm used to the Visual C++ way to do it, and this means just adding a reference to the existing file. I'm not sure duplicating the file is such a good idea, but with the package design, it might come in handy. Maybe making it optionally in one way or another...
awishformore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rename Bug + Random Crashes Reply with quote

sagitario wrote:
I'm used to the Visual C++ way to do it, and this means just adding a reference to the existing file. I'm not sure duplicating the file is such a good idea, but with the package design, it might come in handy. Maybe making it optionally in one way or another...

The way I see it, you organize files in packages for a clean structure of your project, a good overview and what not. There isn't really a reason why this structure should only exist inside the IDE when it can just as well be replicated in the file system in my opinion. Why duplicate? Just move Wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: