FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visual-D crashes VS2008 if latest QT VS2008 add-in installed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatgatsby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Visual-D crashes VS2008 if latest QT VS2008 add-in installed Reply with quote

Hi Rainer,

First - congratulations on Visual-D; it is brilliant and just what the D-community needed!

I am a long-time C++ programmer but relative D newbie. I use Visual C++ 2008 (along with the Qt add-in) quite extensively for work purposes. Since VS is my main IDE at work I was quite excited to see Visual-D about 2 weeks ago.

I installed Visual-D v0.3.14 [with Windows DMD 2.047] just over a week ago, and everything was working fine. I could easily switch between C++/Qt [Qt v4.5.2 with Qt VS add-in v1.0.2] projects and D projects.

About 3 days ago I was forced to upgrade to the latest versions of Qt. After uninstalling Qt / Qt VS add-in I installed Qt v4.6.3 along with the Qt VS add-in v1.1.5.

Afterwards all VC++/Qt projects still worked fine, but Visual-D is now crashing VS. The symptoms are as follows:

1. Compiling/building any D program still works successfully as before.
2. You can run/debug any D-program successfully as before.
3. After the D-program ends and a couple of seconds after the program returns, VS reports that it "has encountered a problem and needs to close".
4. VS can restart afterwards without problem.

These symptoms are repeatable and I have, as you advised others, captured a trace-log with procdump (procdump -e devenv.exe), that I will separately mail to you.

Also note that this bought out another issue. As part of my attempts to investigate this, I uninstalled Visual-D. When I re-opened VS2008 it looked like, even though Visual-D was uninstalled, the add-in installation wasn't uninstalled from VS itself - VS complained that:
Code:
Package Load Failure: Package 'Visual D' has failed to load properly ... Would you like to disable this package in future...etc.

After re-installing Visual-D I noticed that the Visual-D menu option was now missing from the main menu, even though the Customize dialog still showed all 4 menu-option commands [Search File/Search Symbol/Show Parameter Info/Show Scope]. All others dialogs [Tools|Options and Project|<ProjName>Properties] are still present and working correctly.

I have tonight also now tried the latest Visual-D v0.3.15, but symptoms remain exactly as before.
sagitario

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for the process dump. It actually looks very similar to the dump that I received for http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5472, where the problem seems the same.

No Visual D location is seen on the stack of any thread, so it's hard to find the problem from the dump. I have downloaded the Qt-plugin (nothing else, my apps are still on qt 3.3.x) and could reproduce the crash with just a D project loaded. It looks as if there is a thread created by the qt-plugin that iterates the project maybe causing some threading issues.

I'll investigate further...

Rainer
sagitario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've updated the preliminary 0.3.15 that should fix the crashes with the qt-plugin. It boiled down to sockets being closed by phobos whenever a thread terminates.

The uninstall problem looks like the menu remained in the registry. This might have to do with user settings being added after installation. I'm not sure how to remove settings for all users that ever used Visual D.

Rainer
greatgatsby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainer,

I checked last night - and v0.3.15 does fix the problem on my side. Thanks! I am looking forward to getting to grips now with D using VS.

Don't worry about the uninstall issue, I am sure I can fix that myself.

I must say - your respond really fast to issues! It is well appreciated...
sagitario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting back. I've just released version 0.3.15 with this fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: