FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine design questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw in your last commit:
Quote:
Surface unit tests now imports and initializes freetype since that is needed.

It's weird because Windows didn't have an issue. I assume one of the unittests was doing something that caused text to be rendered and therefore a font to be loaded. If you know/remember which one, I can see if I can fix it so this isn't needed.
jdrewsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember what unittest that needed the fix. - I just tried to disable the call too Libraries.loadFreeType() in the unittest right now and couldn't get it to fail anymore. So I guess you can remove that again until I can trigger the error (if at all).
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well.
jdrewsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've progressed a bit with the .blend importer code. But at the same time I have also realized that this approach of getting stuff from blender to yage is not the best one. For example - when reading the geometry data from the file it is on a form without the blender modifier stack applied. Export scripts in blender have access to a magic "apply modifiers" that collapses the modifier stack for an object and applies modifications directly to the mesh. This is of course only possible because the scripts have access to the internals of blender while running. This is sadly not the case when the my yage .blend importer is executing (as it would mean including blender into yage Smile ).

So even though I have some basic importing working I will not go further down this road.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we require the the blender user to merge the modify stack before saving? Is this a practical approach?
Trass3r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:
I'm hoping to ditch SDL completely due to it's many limitations and go with native windowing calls. This is low priority for me and open to anyone who's interested.

(D)SFML is way better than SDL.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should take another look at SFML to see if it will fill all of my needs. If so, it could save some coding time.
Trass3r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to use the svn 2.0 branch.
Even if you decide to implement it yourself it can't hurt to take a look at sfml. It's a really nice and clean API imho Cool
jdrewsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCoder wrote:
What if we require the the blender user to merge the modify stack before saving? Is this a practical approach?

Hey again!

Sorry about the late reply. I became a father this october and that has pretty much been eating up all my time.

Anyway... If the user have to do some manual work to get his models "ready" in blender before being able to use it in yage I think he is just as well off using a normal export tool to e.g. dae/fbx format.

I will create a new top post with some of the ideas I have regarding how I would like to see the engine evolve and where I could contribute.
JoeCoder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry about the late reply. I became a father this october and that has pretty much been eating up all my time.

Congratulations!

I think everyone on this project comes and goes as the please. There's no timeline and no budget. That's what makes this such a relaxing relief from our everyday programming jobs. Every now and then I'll spend a month or two on a side project as well.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Yage All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: