FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

msobj100.dll - known bug, still extant?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brasshopper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: msobj100.dll - known bug, still extant? Reply with quote

Just today I installed Visual D with Visual Studio 2010 shell downloaded from Microsoft, also today.

First I downloaded the Visual Studio 2010 Express, and installed it, for Visual Basic, C++, and C#. A few days ago, I had downloaded and installed the 7.1 SDK.

Then I read the description closer, where it noted that it would not work with the express versions. So I downloaded and installed the Visual Studio 2010 shell.

Then I downloaded the Visual D file and installed it.

I then read the known bugs, and saw that you expected a file to be missing, msobj100.dll. I searched my system for that file, and found it twice. Once it was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE and once it was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\amd64.

I can only assume that Microsoft has repaired their 2010 shell, at least, to include the file. Either that, or it was installed by my installing the SDK. The SDK does not seem to integrate with the 2010 version of Studio, if you try registering, it fails, saying that it only looks for 2005 or 2008 versions.

In any case, I do have a lot of other bits, and have no idea if this file was installed in the Visual Studio 10 installation directories by, say, the C compiler I also got from Microsoft in the SDK or in the mmmm. It seems to have come in with the 2010 shell, which would help people get going by eliminating one bug.

It would be helpful, (if this turns out to be a continuing bug) if you would tell people where to put a copy of the file they might get from someone.

I'm excited about D. I'm reviewing the Andrei Alexandrescu book, and so far, I have nothing but good things to say about it, but I want to do a little programming in the language, and needed some sort of a development environment to do it in.
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for reporting. I've updated the installation instructions to make the setup process a bit clearer.

The missing DLL can be found in both Visual C Express and the SDK. It is needed by the C compiler when it creates symbolic debug information, so that's probably why its not included in the shell itself.

Rainer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: