FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadlock w/VisualShell 2008 and 2010 on Win7 x64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbohl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Deadlock w/VisualShell 2008 and 2010 on Win7 x64 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm having trouble bringing up VisualD on Win7 x64 and I'm wondering if anybody else has a similar experience. I haven't used Visual* tools since VC++ 6 so I'm a newbie with the Visual Shell versions of the MS tools.

When attempting to edit and debug the initial example console app under both Visual Shell 2008 and 2010 using version 0.3.28 of VisualD, the IDE stops responding upon the first attempt to operate on the project contents.

My machine does have BitDefender 2011 runnning although disabling BitDefender does not remedy the hang.

The windows sysinternals resource monitor indicates that devenv is deadlocked when analyzing wait chains on the process.

I have a process dump available for both Visual Shell 2008 and 2010 that I can send.

Another experiment with version 0.3.27 of VisualD with Visual Shell 2008 showed that the first invocation after a new install of VisualD seemed to work. However, the hang behavior returns with all subsequent invocations of Visual Shell. Visual Shell 2010 still had the hang behavior in all attempts with version 0.3.27 of Visual D.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as VisualD seems to be a wonderful environment for D.

Thanks,
rBohl
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

what are your "first attempts to operate on the project contents"? I have recently seen a freeze when switching the document (Ctrl-Tab), but could not track it down yet, and it does not appear any longer. I don't remember having seen this in previous versions, so mabe you could try 0.3.26 aswell.

Please make the process dump available for download or send it to me directly (r dot sagitario at gmx dot de). Maybe I can figure out what the problem is. Please specify the version of Visual D for the dump, so I don't have to try different pdb files.

Rainer
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for sending the process dump (answering here in case someone else is experiencing similar issues).

It very much looks like a deadlock when starting multiple threads by the std.parallelism thread pool causing a race condition with code in DllMain(DLL_THREAD_ATTACH). It probably does not happen reguarly for me because I only a dual core processor, so the thread pool only starts one additional thread.

Until I find a solution, a workaround for this should be to disable both syntax parsing and outlining in the global options Tools->Options->Text Editor->D->Colorizer.

Rainer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: