FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFML

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bioinfornatics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: SFML Reply with quote

hello which project i need use for sfml ?
- derelict
- DSFML (in sfml trunk)
mutable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both can you use for SFML, but Derelicts SFML is functional, DSFML is like SFML in C/C++
mutable

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it is possible to interface to C++, there are any plans to make the SFML binding "correct" which means that it can use as SFML in C++ with Classes and Objects?
I tried in the past to use DSFML, but i can't so far. That the reason why i started programming Dgame.
aldacron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have no plans to bind to the C++ version. The support for C++ in D makes no difference in Derelict, because there is no static linking. Because Derelict loads shared libraries dynamically, there are a couple of major issues.

The first problem is name mangling. Every C++ compiler mangles function names differently. So in order for a shared libraries from multiple compilers to be supported, the loader would have to take into account the name mangling scheme of each compiler. That alone is something I don't even want to think about.

The second problem is how to load the classes. Even in C++, when dynamically loading a shared library (at least DLLs on Windows, not sure on posix systems) it is necessary to provide a method in the DLL to create an instance of a specific class. As far as I know, there is no other way to do it.

Both of these problems make it very difficult, if not impossible, to create Derelict-style bindings to C++ libraries. If the libraries provide functions with C linkage, and a way to create instances of a class via a method call, then it's possible. And that's essentially what CSFML does.

If you want to bind with the C++ version of SFML using D's C++ compatibility, you'll need to create a direct binding and link with the import library on Windows or the shared object file on Linux.
doob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutable wrote:
Now that it is possible to interface to C++, there are any plans to make the SFML binding "correct" which means that it can use as SFML in C++ with Classes and Objects?
I tried in the past to use DSFML, but i can't so far. That the reason why i started programming Dgame.

If you create bindings to a C++ library you still need a C/C++ function that create the class instances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: