FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequence&q

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kostya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequence&q Reply with quote

I built the examlpe notepad from source in dnote.d. When I tried to open a file with cyrillic symbols in the filename it asserted:
"invalid UTF-8 sequence"

I looked up the code and found that the DFL uses the
Code:
GetOpenFileNameA

API in the OpenFileDialog.runDialog() which gets the ASCII filename
then tries to cast it to char[] which is an UTF-8 string and then the program crashes.

Why don't you use windows APIs that end in *W instead of their *A counterparts? Since D does not support ASCII encoding at all...

P.S: Or did I miss something, being a total newbie to D language? Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequen Reply with quote

Kostya wrote:
Why don't you use windows APIs that end in *W instead of their *A counterparts? Since D does not support ASCII encoding at all...

In the bug list in readme.txt it does say
readme.txt wrote:
Doesn't call any unicode Windows API functions.

Windows 9x doesn't support many of the "W" functions, so for now I've been just using the "A" ones.

Since ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, DFL will work only with ASCII. But I have been contemplating doing what std.file does. It does string conversions based on the OS and calls the "W" functions on NT.
- Chris
qbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh no one uses win98 Confused .

Id just go straight with *W !

Q
Kostya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequen Reply with quote

Quote:
Windows 9x doesn't support many of the "W" functions

But most of them - the most common in fact like GetOpenFileNameW it does support via the Microsoft Layer for Unicode . I will now check if it supports all the A functions that DFL uses.

Quote:
, so for now I've been just using the "A" ones.

That means it only works with US and some european versions of Windows - russian not included... Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Since ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, DFL will work only with ASCII. But I have been contemplating doing what std.file does. It does string conversions based on the OS and calls the "W" functions on NT.
- Chris

If I could be of help switching the library to W functions just ask me. Maybe you have more important "ToDos" in the DFL but for me its most important that it works at all! I could make a version that uses Unicode. I think that its unnecessary to make different calls on different OSes since most of the common W functions are supported by Win9x.

What do you think?
Kostya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequen Reply with quote

Quote:
But I have been contemplating doing what std.file does. It does string conversions based on the OS and calls the "W" functions on NT.
- Chris

Ive just looked how it works in std.file in phobos... Well it fails on cyrillic characters just the same. (I use WinXP). To be more precize I copied the source of the std.file
Code:
read()
function to my test program, then debugged. It fails whether I set
Code:
useWfuncs
variable to 1 or 0 i.e. on both WinXp and Win98 on the string converting functions:
Code:
wchar* namez = std.utf.toUTF16z(name);

Code:
char* namez = toMBSz(name);

Should I address this to D language creators perhaps? Although this cannot be that D does not support cyrillic and no one noticed... I'll try to make it work...
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequen Reply with quote

Kostya wrote:
Although this cannot be that D does not support cyrillic and no one noticed... I'll try to make it work...
Are you using a UTF-encoding for characters? I'm sure that D wouldn't discriminate against Cyrillic characters. You might be able to find a solution by reading this page: Unicode Issues
Kostya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sample prorgam dnote.d fails: "invalid UTF-8 sequen Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you using a UTF-encoding for characters? I'm sure that D wouldn't discriminate against Cyrillic characters. You might be able to find a solution by reading this page: Unicode Issues

Oh thank you for the links. I got it now. I used 8-bit encoding instead of UTF-8.

The problem was:

When I selected a file with cyrillic name using "GetOpenFileNameA" function it returned a string in non UTF-8 but locale-specific 8-bit string.
Some characters in it were above 0x80 and this caused error.
But this is all very confusing still because the Windows does not use UTF-8 - only ANSI and UTF-16. And the DFL has the same problem:

Code:

//this is the error:
   //got russian filename "d:\ЫЫЫ.txt" stored in a file (practically it is what GetOpenFileNameA returns)

char[] c = cast(char[]) read("d:\\111.txt");
   //used it to try and open that file (it exists)
   char[] result = cast(char[]) read(c);//ERROR: Invalid UTF-8 Sequence

//thats how I managed it to work:
   //got russian filename "d:\ЫЫЫ.txt" stored in a file to array of ANSI 1-byte characters
   byte[] b = cast(byte[]) read("d:\\111.txt");
   //allocate UTF-16 string
   wchar[] w = new wchar[b.length];
   //convert ANSI to UTF-16. I didn't find the any phobos functions that do it
   MultiByteToWideChar(0,0,cast(char*)b, b.length, w, w.length);

char[] result2nd = cast(char[]) read(toUTF8(w));//ok
   printf("?.*s\n",result2nd);//finally it read the file with cyrillic filename.

Chris Miller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started supporting UTF-8, check it out in the snapshot http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl/snapshots/ Shocked
Kostya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Everything works fine now. Thanks a lot. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: