FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svanleent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Dear reader

The goal of this project is to create a standard documentation tool to use with D source files.

Why another documentation tool?

D is a new state-of-the-art language with possibilities that reach far beyond the possibilities of other languages used these days. Unit tests, design by constract, advanced template design, and many other possibilities which are not included by languages such as C, C++, Java and C#. Currently used tools such as Doxygen don't have enough support for this language.

How would the tool look like?

The components of this tool can roughly be exposed as three stages:

Translation stage - Reading source code and make a tree setup
    Extraction stage - Read the comments form the tree and rebuild a comment tree
    Output stage - Compile the comment tree into XHTML, XML, SQL, JIT documentation and other kinds of formats

When is the tool complete?

Probably never. Since D is a growing language and depends on the community whishes the documentation tool is immediatly affected by this. Also wishes for the tool itself play a part in the story.

Join DDoc!
If you're interested in giving support to this tool, feel free to reply on this welcome topic.

Regards,
Sjoerd
pragma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome Reply with quote

svanleent wrote:
If you're interested in giving support to this tool, feel free to reply on this welcome topic.

Sure!

I'm in no capacity to contribute much at this time, but I do have some questions.

Seeing as how the community is coming up to speed with better build tools (dmake, digc, etc) something like ddoc is badly needed. Especially since the other attempts to assimilate other build tools seems to have faultered.

I'm assuming that the eventual ddoc specification will be using data embedded in comments, similar to other tools (.NET, cocoon, and javadoc). Is there such a spec out there for ddoc now?

If not, I think that'd be the best place to start, since someone may have some parser technology that you could adapt later.

Thanks.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome Reply with quote

pragma wrote:

I'm assuming that the eventual ddoc specification will be using data embedded in comments, similar to other tools (.NET, cocoon, and javadoc). Is there such a spec out there for ddoc now?

I haven't seen a spec, but there has been discussions on the subject in the poll thread (not the GPL poll).
svanleent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to come up with some kind of specification. But for documentation generation we need to be able to parse D code. Since the original front-end parser DMD just throws away the comments this is going to be quite a problem.

However, I also started the DGrammar project, which is making steps forward. A specification of this project is nearly finished together with some initial documentation.

Regards,
Sjoerd
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svanleent wrote:
I'll try to come up with some kind of specification. But for documentation generation we need to be able to parse D code. Since the original front-end parser DMD just throws away the comments this is going to be quite a problem.

However, I also started the DGrammar project, which is making steps forward. A specification of this project is nearly finished together with some initial documentation.

Regards,
Sjoerd

Have you looked at the new D lexer released by James Dunne?
svanleent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you looked at the new D lexer released by James Dunne?

I'll look in a few days at the D lexer
pragma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svanleent wrote:

Agreed. Other parsers that are built on top of the d front-end may inherit this problem (although it may be easily hacked out). I see that your DGrammar project has avoided this entirely.

If it helps, I recently developed a D-based interpretation of Boost::Spirit. (http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/dsp/trunk/misc/dbuild/parser/)

It still needs a little work: it can be faster, and grammars don't produce parse-trees so they must be event-driven instead, plus there are some bugs. I found that it works well for building complex grammars quickly. It also yields pretty maintainable code. You might want to give it a shot.

Everyone, thanks for the kind words. I'll watch the other threads for word on how to format my comments from here forward, so I can hit the ground running when ddoc comes out.
svanleent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Agreed. Other parsers that are built on top of the d front-end may inherit this problem (although it may be easily hacked out). I see that your DGrammar project has avoided this entirely.

Yay, DGrammar is now much more mature. I think it is only a matter of weeks when I can enter the grammar of D. This is going to be a tough job, since it is a very large grammar.

DGrammar only needs to provide forward and backward the first and last "ignored" grammar towards the siblings, then it should work.
svanleent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGrammar is still growing in maturity, I hope that it is possible to collaborate with different lexer projects such as lr-lalr, so we can join forces.

I will begin with DDoc front-end parser within some weeks from now, DGrammar may still not be finished, but I'll try to get the most needed options in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DDoc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: